For those talking about recharge rates (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, July 20, 2017, 17:04 (2489 days ago) @ Xenos

I totally get your complaint, and I think there are several people that agree with you, but I do have to point out you're talking about something like single digit percentages of the time you'll probably end up playing Destiny 2. I played well over 1200 hours of Destiny 1 and maybe 40 of that, at most, was spent at a point where I didn't have enhanced grenade and melee recharge rates.

Like I said, not saying you're wrong, but you're most likely going to even forget about the time it takes to improve your build.

(I personally like the progression part at the beginning, makes it more interesting for that time period than just "here's all your powers and everything is maxed out!")

That's a very good and fair point. In the grand scheme of things, the time it takes to level up my characters is minor relative to the amount of time I'm likely to spend playing D2. But having my first experience with the campaign dragged down by what is IMO a somewhat dull version of Destiny's combat does tarnish the experience for me in a significant, if short, way.

My first time through a game is usually when I'm the most absorbed by it. It's all new to me, so I'm totally taken in by everything I'm seeing and doing. As I replay the game, it becomes more about social interactions with friends, or mastering the game on a mechanical level. But the real heart and soul of the story missions falls into the background, because I've already seen it all.

I would really love to be able to jump into Destiny 2 and have an initial experience that blows me away on all levels the way I felt playing Halo CE or Reach, or Mass Effect 2, The Last of Us, Titanfall 2, etc. I love it so much when the gameplay mechanics reinforce the emotional beats of the story. So many of Halo 1 - Reach's story beats land as well as they do because the player's adrenalin is pumping, or their nerves are frazzled, or they're feeling triumphant as a result of the combat scenario they just experienced. Destiny 1 failed to deliver that kind of experience for me, because until I maxed out my characters, I found the combat too dull to illicit those feelings. The Mission and Strike in the Destiny 2 Beta land even further away from what I'm hoping for.

So I'm quite sure that I'll end up having a blast with "Destiny 2: the social game that you play with friends while being completely detached from the game world or plot". I'm just disappointed that it's looking like I might not enjoy "Destiny 2: The gripping, dramatic sci-fi/fantasy adventure story" that will be my first playthrough,

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread