Looks & Feels...Weird (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, July 20, 2017, 11:03 (2489 days ago) @ squidnh3

Played a bunch yesterday, wasn't too shocked at anything, but the one thing I'm having trouble describing is how the game looks and feels different than Destiny 1.

Something about the geometry and feedback doesn't seem quite...right. The geometry/colors almost remind me of Halo 5 more than Destiny. It's harder to tell exactly what is happening when you are shooting enemies, but I can't seem to identify what feedback mechanisms are missing or changed. Destiny 1 seemed very precise to me, but the D2 Beta seems "slimy" - to use the first word that popped into my head while playing the strike for the first time. I don't know how to relate that to specific differences.

Did anyone else notice something similar?

Yep. Colors are more washed out and muted, while brights and bloom are more pronounced. The Strike especially. And it doesn't help that the UI is also a bit harder to read.

Another Halo 5-esque problem that I noticed is that areas feel almost too big. Like they wanted folks to spread out, but there is no reason to. Plenty of alternate tunnels and side roads that go nowhere, and/or have no enemies. Will these be parts of story missions and patrol and such? Maybe, but they just feel big and empty, compared to D1's narrower areas.
If you get separated from your teammates, you're in for a long march back to them...

I like the stronger contrasts of D1 better.

As for the "slimy" feeling, Sammy noticed it on Hunters, but Warlocks have the opposite feeling, where everything is too stiff, but your jumps are too floaty. In D1, as soon as I started a jump, I knew more or less exactly where I would be by the end of it. In D2, I'll have to focus on controlling the jump throughout, which is pretty odd, but not a dealbreaker (still my favorite jump so far).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread