Posting cool things (and other wise). (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, June 25, 2023, 13:49 (309 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It was always us, right? I always posted about how cool the newest Dungeons were, how fun the seasonal weapons are. I raved about Season of the Haunted. You post clips of just fun and cool stuff all the time. None of those ever get many replies. It’s not for me to judge when and how people reply. If I don’t have anything to say, I don’t reply just for the hell of it either. But it’s no wonder folks think this place is filled with negativity—if you want to have a conversation here, it’s the only thing that ever gets any reaction. It’s difficult not to leave the with the feeling that people just aren’t excited by Destiny anymore. It’s a habit rather than a real source of joy. That’s probably not actually true for lots of folks—it’s not like they need to come here and prove their love for the game. But the silence seems telling in some ways. Even when things are very good and cool, it’s still just more of the same. The dungeons are great, but much like raids, we largely know to expect, so what is there really to talk about?

I’m rambling now without much direction or point, so I’ll stop. But folks can’t get upset by the negativity when any positivity is met with only silence.

Except I'd say that's a big overstatement. If we're going to point to INSANE's posts, I tried to make a habit of responding to his video drops after I watched them all, but his last one might have overwhelmed me (Pro tip, Insane, and I say with this with love: I know you have this Cecil B DeMille, go big or go home attitude to your posts, but maybe distribute your stuff over time so it's not so much to watch/read?).

Is it unexpected that Destiny is less exciting than it was when it was new? DBO the community is of course a reflection of Destiny the game. And Destiny the game has been a mixed bag, full of amazing highs, and crappy lows. (Here's a topical showstopper for me. I haven't bought any silver for Destiny 2. When they said you wouldn't carry over the currency from D1, that felt like a betrayal to me. I don't begrudge anyone for buying it and using it, and I didn't let my red line keep me from playing a game I enjoyed.)

You say "[Destiny's] a habit rather than a real source of joy" but can't it be both? It' s a beautiful game with smooth movement, interesting mechanics, and fun goals that friends can tackle together. Maybe that's enough for some?

Regarding DBO, I've been a defender of this community and HBO for so long that it's habitual. It hasn't always been worth it. I don't mind negativity per se. Constructive, balanced criticism is healthy. But that comes from a place of hope. Some of us haven't given up on hoping that Bungie can stick the landing. Some obviously have, and that's fine. It's be cool and maybe healthier if the former group was be able to discuss the highs and lows here, wihout the lows being taken as an opportunity for the latter group to (sometimes smugly) claim validation.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread