LOL. Legit said "Can't wait for Cheap to chime in on this". (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, June 24, 2023, 11:28 (310 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Well, I don’t see any countering that by singing its praises.

Just don’t have the energy.

Me either, really. I didn’t really mean in a sense of no one literally debating me. I just mean, when was the last time anyone posted a cool thing that happened in the game? Where’s any excitement for it? The lack of posting about it here doesn’t prove that there isn’t anything exciting or cool happening, of course.

Yeah, I assume cool stuff happens all the time. Really enjoyed doing the dungeon blind with Robot and squid a few weeks ago. Insane posts cool stuff with frequency. Sometimes I think there's not a lot of activity here because this community skews older, and we have other demands on our time, and playing the game itself takes a chunk of it. And when there is something to discuss about something new, excitement is met with cynicism, routinely. Often from people who don't play the game anymore. The boundaries of our discussions are often dictated by or responding to whatever is trending on social media, and is there any time when that's not negative?

I think the kind of fandom that existed when I got here 20-plus years ago is dead. In 2023, it's just seen as naive. Yet what Robot said about religious conversion and exodus rings true, too. We live in a time that encourages ALL opinions and beliefs to take on a religious cast, and you're either one of the good people or bad people, a believer or heretic, and the ability to do what Robot just did, describe with accuracy a position he does not personally hold, is rare. The humility and acceptance required is just not valued culturally. At minimum, the bubbles we create with our media shield us from opportunities to use those muscles, and I think this makes us less than we could be. Definitely dumber and more strident.

I hope you don't go away from here, cheapLEY, but if you did, I'd like to keep in touch. We don't have to play the same game, or have the same opinions about everything, to be friends.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread