Same but Differently (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, December 08, 2021, 13:07 (842 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by INSANEdrive, Wednesday, December 08, 2021, 13:13

After playing the new anniversary activity, I think I’m with you.

I don’t want to be a downer, but last night was the sudden realization that Destiny largely isn’t a game I want to play any more. The new activity is . . . it’s fine. It’s just like every other seasonal activity in Destiny, which means it’s mindless shooting with absolutely no sense of urgency or agency, there is no fail state, no challenge, no point in even engaging. And that’s before we get to the writing, which is fucking atrocious. It’s seriously fucking awful. It’s like try hard Borderlands. Was this written by an eleven year old? The fact that a grown ass adult wrote this, thought it was good, and put it into a video game makes me question everything I like about the story and presentation of Destiny.

I was grinding out Strange Coins to get horse bounties so I could start the Forerunner quest . . . after my fifth run I had the epiphany that I was having zero fun and was fantasizing about playing Warframe instead. I was doing an activity I actively disliked in order to get a gun just so that I would have it. What the fuck am I doing? And that’s the experience I’ve had every season while working through the seasonal activities.

I already bought Witch Queen, and I’ll play it, but I think I’m done with the Destiny day to day. Maybe I’ll play the big expansion every year and call it there.

Lots of thoughts are still in the air, as I really only got to scratch the surface yesterday.

It's far too early to say, but I have this one part of me that thinks that the game is now far less fun. That "Go Fast" was Destiny for me despite the flaws, and now it's gone. It's far too early to say. I too went all in with Witch Queen, so hey, there it is... but... I don't know. Suddenly what was a sure thing is now so much less sure. I just, I just look at how long the base time for Supers are now, and despite all the different ways you can use to reduce that time, it makes my heart sink a little. It's like (or in fact, as this is probably an apt description now), the power fantasy is now burdened with new terms and conditions. On the surface it's a real kill joy for me. Burdened upon the experiences of which I knew that before was so (and indeed too much so at times) effortless.

It's far too early to say. Plus, to me the real telling tale will be the coming patch notes. How stock is my initial feel, if it is correct at all? I need to play some of the baseline activities so that I can get a real feel of how things are with out the boosts and perks certain activities have. I have no idea what PvP is going to be like.

The New Seasonal is... well, like all the seasonals frankly. Best consumed at pace. Don't grind. It is a "something to do", a mindless run around of slaughter. Sometimes it's nice, but it's really only surface deep. It's something you play for hijinks.

Then we 180, and I get to tell you about how I (just to see how far I could go) lone wolfed some of the Grasp of Avarice Dungeon. Didn't finish, but only because I ran out of real world time. Still have a checkpoint. Even so, even with the little I saw, this might be my favorite Dungeon. This is why I play Destiny. AAA content. Atmosphere, Mechanics, and all the story telling you can say with such. It's a three man raid and I am all here for it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread