I think I’m with you. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, December 08, 2021, 07:14 (870 days ago) @ Morpheus

After playing the new anniversary activity, I think I’m with you.

I don’t want to be a downer, but last night was the sudden realization that Destiny largely isn’t a game I want to play any more. The new activity is . . . it’s fine. It’s just like every other seasonal activity in Destiny, which means it’s mindless shooting with absolutely no sense of urgency or agency, there is no fail state, no challenge, no point in even engaging. And that’s before we get to the writing, which is fucking atrocious. It’s seriously fucking awful. It’s like try hard Borderlands. Was this written by an eleven year old? The fact that a grown ass adult wrote this, thought it was good, and put it into a video game makes me question everything I like about the story and presentation of Destiny.

I was grinding out Strange Coins to get horse bounties so I could start the Forerunner quest . . . after my fifth run I had the epiphany that I was having zero fun and was fantasizing about playing Warframe instead. I was doing an activity I actively disliked in order to get a gun just so that I would have it. What the fuck am I doing? And that’s the experience I’ve had every season while working through the seasonal activities.

I already bought Witch Queen, and I’ll play it, but I think I’m done with the Destiny day to day. Maybe I’ll play the big expansion every year and call it there.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread