Raids (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, May 16, 2013, 01:20 (4011 days ago) @ Claude Errera

In fact, folks reading guides obviously do it because that is more fun than doing it on their own, or else they'd do it on their own.

Nope.

I often read guides after I've beaten a game. I've DONE it on my own - now I want to see how OTHERS do it.

I wish you wouldn't use phrases like 'In fact' when in fact what follows is NOT fact. Thanks.

Same here. I often watch let's play videos of games I've already finished to see how other people play them differently. Sometimes it's for RPGs where I know there are different routes, but I feel so strongly about the character that I'm playing that choosing a different route "just to see what happens" feels wrong. I've replayed all of the Mass Effect games at least once, and often I start out intending on reversing some of the major decisions, but when it comes down to it, I end up making the same decision because it feels right for the character I'm playing. (I've never saved Kaidan, I've never killed Wrex, and I've never not saved the Rachni queen).

I expect plenty of others also do it to approach achievement challenges that focus on collecting objects strewn about the game. Games often tell you how many out of the possible total objects you've found, but give you little or no indication of where the missing ones are, meaning you end up replaying the entire game doing nothing but searching dark corners. Instead, I'll look through a walkthrough's list of item locations until I see one I don't recognize, and then I'll focus a search on those levels, only resorting to actually reading the location of that item if I can't find it with a general search. I did this recently with novel pages during an Alan Wake replay.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread