Now to "Peck more at this thing". (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, August 09, 2023, 09:58 (264 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Genshin is another great example. Who knows what their labor situation is like, but you can see where the ridiculous amount of money they rake in is going in that game. Every update is an improvement in every way the last one, and even their more throw away diversion events are at least novel and not just barely modified reskins of past things hyped up as brand new experiences.

Okay, I get that you've gotten so tired with Destiny that you've quit it, but I don't really feel like you're being fair here. Genshin Impact came out 3 years ago. Destiny's almost a decade old. If Genshin is still producing completely novel 'throwaway events' in 7 years, I'll give you this point... but I'm guessing I wouldn't lose that bet.

(I'm ignoring the fact that nobody at Bungie is suggesting that any of the reskinned stuff is brand-new.)

Maybe live service games have been around long enough now that we've seen the end game play out. As you say, how can you make a game stay interesting, fresh, and novel for 10 years?

If the 'service' part of live service has a shelf life, then how is that going to influence the trajectory of the industry?

I don't know if this will be good or bad. It might end up with shorter life cycles, with monetization being more intense and in your face to make all the money in 4-5 years before the game grows stale. Or maybe the games will not be designed to be spread thin, since they don't have to last as long.

I'll watch with curiosity from the sidelines.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread