Now to "Peck more at this thing". (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, August 09, 2023, 06:52 (264 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah, I don’t care about any of that. I know it’s naive, but I just don’t. I want them to make a good video game and stop making excuses.

This is the crux. If you choose a business model, and said business model is unable to deliver what players want, then you need to change your model so that you can give them what they want, or else just tell players "We aren't going to do this by choice, don't expect it."

It harms your credibility to try to gaslight players into thinking their asks are unreasonable or not realistic. Just own up to the fact you don't want to.

I think that’s one of the reasons DE got my respect almost out of the gate with Warframe. They put out a PvP element to the game (Conclave), explicitly stated that they were only adding it due to players requesting it, but emphasized that they did not, and would never see Warframe as a PvP game, so if any additions, balance tweaks, and gametypes ever arrived, it would be solely at the discretion of what devs wanted to work on in their spare time, but assume the answer was “never”.

They never said “we have people upstairs working on the future evolutions of Conclave! PvP enjoyers should stick around and pay more! The dragons ARE coming!”

If there’s an element to the game you’re abandoning or putting low/zero effort in, tell people. It’s better to have people upset now, instead of stringing them along for literal years before you finally say “we would have given you any scraps like we said we would, but that would take away from the scraps we might give people in other sections of the game, so uh… here’s an old bone you used to like chewing on! Be sure to check out our fully restocked vending machines though! K thanks bye!”

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread