Now to "Peck more at this thing". (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, August 08, 2023, 09:21 (265 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Yeah, I don’t care about any of that. I know it’s naive, but I just don’t. I want them to make a good video game and stop making excuses. You’ll also never convince me they couldn’t actually afford to just dedicate a real team to making maps. It would not cost them that much money compared to what Destiny is making. Sure, they can’t directly point to more Crucible maps on paper and say “This made us $X,” the way you can with an Eververse thing, or even a season, but to pretend like Destiny isn’t a holistic experience is shortsighted and downright stupid if they care even a little about making an actually good video game instead of just money. Which, to be clear, they don’t.

I was linked a GDC talk in which a Bungie developer was showing off their modular armor system and bragged he could build a brand new helmet in under four minutes. So which is it? Is it too hard, or can you build a helmet in four minutes? Because it can’t be both.

The seasonal model killed any chance Destiny had of being a good truly good video game in more than just a “it’s fun to shoot aliens with friends” way. But again, they don’t care about that. If they did, Destiny would be a better game than it is.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread