You can never go back. (Destiny)

by EffortlessFury @, Thursday, May 12, 2022, 10:34 (708 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The genre requires the expansion of the game into the mundane. The way I see it, there are two choices you have when making an open world game. Either make the mere traversal of those paths in between fun to navigate, thus making the mundane interesting again (Death Stranding, BotW), or just… don't do open world.

Interestingly enough, I find Infinite and BotW's world traversal to be about the same level of appealing: I kinda like them and I kinda don't. Death Stranding is about traversal, so it inherently solves the problem.

I think the Open World could be made into something more appealing, how much more will depend on the person experiencing it. The open world needs additional meaningful activities, things that can be repeated in interesting ways. If you wanted to throw in a little live service, occasionally add some unique objectives/missions to the world from time to time. Make it feel a little more alive and make the things you do there feel like they matter.

Doesn't fix everything, but I do like the idea of a contiguous Halo. As fun as Halo levels are, the level of linearity really makes no sense. lol

The off-map missions can be better and I think that might be somewhat down to the delay/crunch stuff. Reportedly 2/3rds of the game got cut. If true, it might feel a lot more substantial. Basically, they've bought time (for me, anyway) to execute on it properly.

A bit of irony in the discussion around it still being same old "Halo" when this is the first time that 343i has really pulled that off.

BTW, to partially answer your question (I'm not 100% on the exact details), but when Atriox found Cortana on the Halo ring, The Weapon had already been deployed and had locked Cortana down (at least for the most part). That's why The Weapon has been on the Halo for the past six months.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread