You can never go back. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, May 04, 2022, 20:41 (715 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Normally, I would disagree. Nostalgia makes fools of us all, and new takes on old ideas can be fantastic. Halo might be the exception, though. I just played through Halo 2 and Halo 3 within the past two weeks (along with a few hours of multiplayer). Halo 3 is actually a perfect video game. I genuinely do not think it could have actually been any better than it was.

I like 343’s Halo games for the most part. I think Infinite is the worst of them, though, in general. After trying to replay some of it, I like it less than I did initially. I think the game feel is fantastic, maybe the best Halo has ever been. Nothing else in the game pulls it’s weight though. The open world just sucks. It’s straight up not fun to be in. After playing the old Halo games, it really highlights how Infinite is lacking, and I think the open world is directly responsible. Where are the set pieces? Where are the Scarab fights? Where’s the Mantis section? The Warthog run? The plummeting space station escape? There is nothing in Infinite that even comes close. Having ten levels that take us through different areas is just a better way to make a Halo game.

And, while I don’t hate the story, I also don’t particularly like it. There’s no accounting for taste, of course, but it’s just not that interesting. I really liked seeing other Spartans in Halo 5, and getting the interaction between team members while on mission. Where is Blue Team during all this? What’s up with Halsey? That stuff was way more interesting than dealing with some Brute’s personal vendetta against the Chief (only for him to be replaced by a completely different Brute after the opening cutscene—seriously, what the fuck?) And then for it to end with some more Forerunner baggage locked up on a Halo ring . . . just, really?

I’d honestly be surprised if I ever play Infinite’s campaign again, and that’s the first time I can say that about a Halo campaign.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread