You can never go back. (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, May 04, 2022, 18:56 (723 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by INSANEdrive, Wednesday, May 04, 2022, 19:00

In reading this, I found some broader reflection that I'd like to share. But first, fantastic write up Cody. A, in-parts, melancholy read.

In a broader media sense, I'm finding more and more that all these sequels and nostalgia baits and all round "Member Berries" safe space ventures have... eroded something. Like a copy of a copy. Where the original, be it with skill or all the right mistakes, becomes part of the social lexicon... Sherlock Holmes, Star Wars, Mario, The Beetles... the eventual reboots/sequels (should there be any) take the name and unevenly little else. Where it can seem that there is little care of why something was successful, just that it is, that it was, and so everything gets "nearest neighbor compressed" into close enough.

Perhaps what I say is a given. This is what you get when you play "phone tag" with any discernible gap in time. But in reading Cody's post, I find myself lamenting this. I wonder if, even if business wise such could never of been, that it would have been better if 343 acted as fateful steward as they have with Halo: The Master Chief Collection. A steward, instead of trying to recreate a king they never could really understand. Because... of the skill that made the original, and all the right mistakes that in all odds can not be reproduced.

But for the size and detail of this world, it all just blended together.

So overall, I’m kind of sad. I’m kind of sad I couldn’t be more excited about the team’s work on this. I’m kind of sad it all just felt familiar and unimpactful to me. And most of all, I’m sad there was no co-op.

You can never go back. But, man, I'm sure glad I was able to be there when the colors were at their brightest.

...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread