My 2 cents (Destiny)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, August 25, 2024, 19:07 (62 days ago) @ Coaxkez

On the one hand, I’m as unhappy as the rest of you about the prospect of AI replacing human jobs and eroding the human element of game development.

On the other hand… I don’t know, it feels kind of inevitable? I’ve been waiting for the other shoe to drop on the whole AI question for years now. Maybe we’re finally seeing the beginnings of that.

I've worked in AAA games and have decades of professionally coding. I now manage Software Engineers and this is what I'll say about this.

1. AI drastically improves the experience of "getting some code down".
2. It drastically decreases the quality of a bad software engineer's output
3. It's great for working on things that are highly repeatable and rely on existing knowledge (tooling/tests).
4. It's abysmal at creating something legitimately new and novel
5. It's current approach has no chance at hell at recreating human ingenuity and that's plain as day since it's just grinding up EXISTING work and then deducing patterns in it for spitting back out.

So if 343 is exploring it for 1 and 3, cool more power to them. If they're exploring it in spite of 2, 4, and 5, that's not terribly encouraging.

Either way I hope they sort it out, cause I like Halo and want more cool Halo stuff to enjoy.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread