The stumble. (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 10, 2024, 16:29 (109 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

We've discussed this, Robot, but I'll put some comments here. Destiny's writing has been plagued by what I'll call Chicken Little-ism for quite a while. Everything tiny thing you do is hyped as high stakes, so that not much feels like high stakes. The Final Shape feels more personal. In the face of (finally) legitimate high stakes, everybody started wearing their hearts on their sleeves, which makes some sense, but they don't stop, and as you put it, they don't trust their audience by showing instead of telling. Boy, do they tell, and then they tell again, and again, sometimes in the same speech, as if we couldn't understand the pretty straightforward statement you just made 10 seconds ago. It becomes less space opera, and more soap opera. I got it the first time, ghost, our relationship has been special, yada, yada, yada. Makes you appreciate the simple, understated "It's been a honor serving with you, John." The script would've been more effective if cut in half. Less is more. I'll stop else I'll be belaboring all the belaboring.

The final few scenes were good. Didn't get choked up like Paul Tassi (who could barely talk about it), but I get the acclaim. You never know with these things. It might yank my heart out during some future viewing. For me, it wasn't the ending of Halo 4, which made me cry almost every time I saw it. The wistfulness I feel comes from the fragility of things outside the game, like relationships here, the memories made with you all, and how at some point Destiny 2 will inevitably become a lonely experience, much like D1 is now, or, dare I say it, HBO is now. Regrets, I'd had a few, but I've had some very good times, too, for which I'm grateful.

P.S. The gameplay is stellar. The best it's ever been.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread