FF7 Rebirth (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, June 25, 2023, 19:25 (308 days ago) @ marmot 1333

the combat system is top tier.

I agree with this. I played FF13 and 13-2 and they got and deserved a lot of the bad-mouthing, but the battle system started to change in some important ways in those games, and the FF7R battle system seemed to be the best outcome of that. I did platinum the game but I had to look up strategies for some of the hardest battles.

I've been thinking about this some lately. I'm playing FF16 right now (it's great!), and it's made the full transition to a straight up action game. I think it's fantastic in that regard--it feels really good. Lots of folks are understandably a bit bummed by the change, though. It has cemented my opinion that FF7 Remake really nailed its combat as a great blend between real time action and the more strategic ability and spell use (and enemy weaknesses to elements, which FF16 doesn't seem to have so far).

I have never played Crisis Core or CCR. What did you think?

I really liked it for what it was. I never did actually finish it. I was very near the end and then got distracted as often happens with me and video games. Rather than go back, I just youtubed the final hour or so of the game that I hadn't gone through yet.

It's an odd little game that is really earnest and lovely. It's goofy and oddly structured, but I enjoyed it. Cody's post sums it up well.

FF7 Remake was the first Final Fantasy game I ever really played. Between it, Crisis Core, and now FF16, I think I'm becoming a fan. Just about everything from FF7 and up is easily available on both Game Pass and Sony's PS equivalent, so I might play some more of them. Cody said 8 is the one to go with, and one of my IRL friends loved 10, so I'll at least try those two.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread