Who cares? (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, November 11, 2022, 14:46 (502 days ago) @ cheapLEY

That’s sort of tongue in cheek, but not completely.

The secret stuff has been cool, stretching all the way back to D1 with Black Spindle and Outbreak and whatever else I’m forgetting. Whisper was very cool, and it being a secret thing was part of that, certainly. But it was mostly just that the actual activity was cool and fun.

I think it's because of the idea of more content being added because devs had a passion for what they're doing, and a budget afforded to them because of players rewarding good content (remember how Zero Hour was famously funded by Whisper of the Worm ornament purchases?). It was a symbiotic cycle!
It's why I mentioned that the price of content is increasing, but the amount of content has decreased.

The Xenophage quest was just a twist on the Black Spindle mission, it just wasn’t secret. And it was still really awesome! It was a fun alternate encounter in that dungeon. ( Stabbim currently has that quest—wanna help run him through it?)

Sure, I had totally erased that quest from my brain....

I’m not sure how you can ask where the cool stuff is when we just got Duality, which is maybe the single best activity ever put into Destiny. I’ll take one Duality over ten Sundial puzzles or whatever the fuck. Secrets are cool, and it’s a bummer on principle they don’t really exist in the game like they used to. But I don’t really care as long as the actual content we get is actually good.

That's the thing though. Duality was paid content. It cost me $20 to even play it, so I hope it's good! I was also forced to pay for the next dungeon regardless of Duality's quality!

It's not that I wanted it to be unlocked through a secret, or that the community had to rally behind obnoxious streamers to unlock it, it is a product that I paid for just like any expansion. So yeah, while it's great, I can't put it on the same list as Zero Hour, Whisper of the Worm, the Black Spindle mission, etc.

The seasonal things are very hit and miss, but they continue to knock it out of the park with the core content (Legendary WQ campaign, the raid, the dungeons). I’ll take that over some secret puzzle that I wouldn’t even actually participate in any day, and doubly so if we could get that quality in the three main playlists.

"Sure, the content that used to be great sucks now, and we have to be nickel-and-dime'd for it, but the $60+ stuff feels worth it still!"
I've never had a taste for boot leather myself, but I respect your opinion.

I think we've both stated that a Dungeon-focused Destiny would be best, so I'm not personally clamoring for more time-wasting merchandise-shilling events that give streamers more reason to scream at a screen, but seeing the death of fun in Destiny happening in real time while the devs are like "Y'all need to lower that bar for us even further! Also, preorder Lightfall!" is sad from any angle, even if I was loving the paid expansions.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread