Interesting theory... (Criticism)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 13:56 (2115 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Korny, Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 14:01

I'm not sure how this is relevant… if you have fun handicapping yourself then that's fine? Nobody is stopping you… in fact you can get a lot of milage out of that. You go in knowing your choice puts you at a disadvantage which is ok if that's what you are going for.

Because I don't want to be forced to get "better" stuff. The way rarity and Power levels work, you are forced to chase "better" stuff, because the game will actively punish you. You said

There needs to be strategies, builds, and weapons that are 'bad' so that players can discover the good ones and make a choice have consequences.

But I say that if you can get things done with "bad" choices, why are those bad? The more the game forces you to adopt the "good" so-called choices, the smaller the sandbox, the fewer options for the player, and ultimately, the worse things get as far as player investment. I want to be able to infuse my Common gear. I want to be able to get any armor to a level similar to the current "Max Power" by virtue of there not being Power. Simply skill, perks, and preference.

Railroading players to a limited number of options is not "giving them choices".

Everything being good destroys the fundamental decision making process behind choice.

It doesn't. It opens up all kinds of avenues for the player to make their own loadouts, and reward their playstyle. Because they're not forced to abandon something that they like in favor of the "optimum loadout". If I wanted to take that terrible loadout into a Prestige raid, I should be free to without seeing "Immune" pop up with every round.

I mean, I still carry and wear my damaged helmet, because it looks great. Why shouldn't I be able to wear it from beginning to end if that's my wish without getting punished for it?

[image]
(And yes, in this particular instance, I will be able to get an ornament that allows me to don the damaged helmet without punishment, but why can't it be universal?)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread