You see problems, I see awesomeness we don't know yet.

by Reconcilliation @, Imagination Station, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 18:14 (3995 days ago) @ Kermit

First, let's just drop your use of "religious" as a pejorative for everyone's comfort. I think you're implying that some of us have blind faith in Bungie, and it may look like that, but it's not for a lot of us. Bungie has made 11 games since I've been following them, and of those, only two disappointed me--Halo 2 and Oni--and despite their problems, they were both a hell of a lot of fun.

You raised a lot of valid concerns based on limited information. (A lot of them were mentioned in the ASE podcast, so you're not alone.) I don't begrudge you mentioning them; I share some of the concerns you have. I do think I have more faith that Bungie won't make a lot of the mistakes you bring up. (And some of them I don't consider mistakes.) It's not blind faith, though. It's based on having been in place before and having great expectations, and then having those expectations met, and often exceeded.

'Religious' wasn't used or intended to be used as a pejorative, it was used to express a concept of faith. What else is that than religion? Fanboys, religion, political affiliation, it's the same psychological framework. People associate and trust and believe in concepts and ideas, partly because not everyone can be completely informed about everything and sometimes it's good to just put blind faith into your belief in something, particularly with a proven track record.

I do however, think that such faith in Bungie, or any other developer, is misplaced and should never free them from criticism. That it's wrong to nod along to everything they say.

The point of my post is to bring these issues up, to make it apparent that no, there are some things that players are finding questionable. If all Bungie hears in feedback is a resounding string of "YES!"'s, but those comments are largely attributable to fanboyism rather than actual appreciation of the game concepts, then they don't refine their game to what works best - for their fans just say "this is good!" no matter what it is that Bungie shows.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread