How does Bungie plan to handle splintering?

by FyreWulff, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 04:16 (4015 days ago)

With the news of the Xbox One today not supporting 360 <-> One crossplay, this is what we're looking at now for totally isolated Destiny playerbases:

PS3
PS4
XBO

Considering Destiny's persistence, how to they plan to handle sustain for Destiny with this setup?

If Destiny has a playlist setup for competitive multiplayer, will the playlist always be the same regardless of platform, or will they adjust playlists per-platform to accomodate where the population goes? To use a Halo example, if Team Actionsack is really popular on PS3 but MLG is really popular on PS4 and the playlists are tanked out on the other platform, do they delete MLG on PS3 and delete Action Sack on PS4?

In cooperative, will they adjust the experience on a global level or do you think they'll tailor the experience to what each playerbase prefers? Say for example if Mars is really popular on 360 but Venus has absurdly high population on XBO, do they split new mission content across the planets or have entirely split teams focusing on that platform's sustain?

I've got some solutions in mind but I wonder what everyone else thinks. Would you prefer a unified experience across platforms or would you prefer Bungie cater to each pool of players individually?

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 05:37 (4015 days ago) @ FyreWulff

With the news of the Xbox One today not supporting 360 <-> One crossplay

I must have missed this. Can you provide a reference?

by FyreWulff, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 06:08 (4015 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by FyreWulff, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 06:23

http://www.videogamer.com/news/microsoft_rules_out_xbox_one_xbox_360_cross-platform_play.html

Even though it's in theory possible on a technical level, it looks like Microsoft is not interested in allowing it to happen.

Saw it at this NeoGAF thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=562157

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 06:26 (4015 days ago) @ FyreWulff

http://www.videogamer.com/news/microsoft_rules_out_xbox_one_xbox_360_cross-platform_play.html

Even though it's in theory possible on a technical level, it looks like Microsoft is not interested in allowing it to happen.

Eh. We'll see. The reasoning in that quote seems... suspect. Makes me wonder if it's not just another "we haven't really nailed this down yet, I guess I shouldn't have said anything" type situation.

by FyreWulff, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 06:39 (4015 days ago) @ Claude Errera

It is suspect, because it's certainly possible. Defiance was going to support cross platform play but Microsoft blocked the feature.

http://kotaku.com/5813740/i-saw-the-playstation-3-wired-to-play-against-an-xbox-360-but-you-wont

by HiredN00bs ⌂ @, Silver Spring, MD, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 06:50 (4015 days ago) @ FyreWulff

I think having a unified universe would have been amazing enough to put the weight of Bungie and Activision behind coercing the hardware companies. "If you won't let us provide cross-platform play, Destiny will not come to your platform."

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 07:48 (4015 days ago) @ HiredN00bs

I think having a unified universe would have been amazing enough to put the weight of Bungie and Activision behind coercing the hardware companies. "If you won't let us provide cross-platform play, Destiny will not come to your platform."

I would that it were so. I think the industry's best next step is to start bridging as many gaps between player populations as possible. Activision certainly has the experience with running large scale operations like that, and a client is a client is a client (to a point, of course) with regard to a game session. If there is a second login layer beyond the platform's online services, I don't see why at that point once there is a degree of security authentication already established, there would be any real difference in the experience. Of course it's broad strokes, and there are plenty of considerations, but what are the really good reasons why not?

~M

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 11:16 (4015 days ago) @ FyreWulff

It is suspect, because it's certainly possible. Defiance was going to support cross platform play but Microsoft blocked the feature.

http://kotaku.com/5813740/i-saw-the-playstation-3-wired-to-play-against-an-xbox-360-but-you-wont

Shared World shooter, so long as you don't want to share with 3/4 the people playing!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 17:58 (4015 days ago) @ FyreWulff

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Bungie and Activision were able to make it happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen either...

The only way I'll be really annoyed though is if my characters can't transfer across all systems

oomph

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 07:16 (4015 days ago) @ FyreWulff

Looks like I need to start figuring out who's getting what.

oomph

by petetheduck, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 07:53 (4015 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Maybe towards October someone can organize a thread. It's a bit premature, and we may yet hear something from Bungie that makes the task unnecessary.

by HiredN00bs ⌂ @, Silver Spring, MD, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 06:07 (4015 days ago) @ FyreWulff

I don't think the lack of backwards compatibility is an indication that games built for the One will not network with games built for the 360. I'm still expecting Destiny players on the One and 360 to be on the same game network, Xbox LIVE.

Hopefully, Sony can accomplish this too, so that we only have a single split in the community.

In any case, I plan on having all 4 consoles and all 4 versions of the game, with the expectation that character data will be shared through Bungie.net.

by FyreWulff, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 06:12 (4015 days ago) @ HiredN00bs

See other post. Microsoft is seemingly not interested in allowing it to happen.

Unless Sony allows PS3<->PS4 crossplay, Destiny is going to be split between 4 pools of players.

by HiredN00bs ⌂ @, Silver Spring, MD, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 06:18 (4015 days ago) @ FyreWulff

by HiredN00bs ⌂ @, Silver Spring, MD, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 06:21 (4015 days ago) @ FyreWulff

That sucks.

by Hypertrooper, Germany, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 06:26 (4015 days ago) @ FyreWulff

I never expected to play with Xbox 360 players when I have the Xbox One version. I never expected to play with PS4 users when I play on my PS3. That was all wishful thinking. The only thing, Bungie has to do, is that my profile carries over to each system. Saving my Xbox One Destiny profile on Activision/Bungie cloud save system and download my profile on the PS4 and continue my journey with PS4 friends. If that's possible, i will be more than satisfied.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 19:01 (4015 days ago) @ Hypertrooper

I never expected to play with Xbox 360 players when I have the Xbox One version. I never expected to play with PS4 users when I play on my PS3. That was all wishful thinking.

Why not? This has been the standard for how these massive shared world type games have operated in the past. Regardless of platform, if you had a client you could connect to the same world as everybody else. Most were PC/Mac only because of this, with a few exceptions of course. Especially with Destiny ostensibly being such a social game, this is a major step backward, and antithetical to that goal.

I realize this is beyond their control of course, but they are partly responsible since they are targeting 4 (3?) incompatible platforms, instead of just making PC/Mac/Linux versions that can play together like has been common up to this point.

by Leisandir @, Virginia, USA, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 05:58 (4014 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It would be pretty sweet to be able to do cross-console play, but what is the downside to not being able to? Each console is bound to have a large enough community to support the game. The way Destiny is engineered, the actual number of players is largely irrelevant: since it has that wonderful silent matchmaking tool, you never actually see how many people are playing.

by HiredN00bs ⌂ @, Silver Spring, MD, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 06:32 (4014 days ago) @ Leisandir

It would be pretty sweet to be able to do cross-console play, but what is the downside to not being able to? Each console is bound to have a large enough community to support the game. The way Destiny is engineered, the actual number of players is largely irrelevant: since it has that wonderful silent matchmaking tool, you never actually see how many people are playing.

From the perspective of a Lone Wolf, it's likely any version would suffice, otherwise, the logistical difficulties of playing Destiny with friends and communities quickly become apparent.

But beyond solving basic social networking problems, a unified game universe would also serve towards a sense of community that is greater than the sum of its parts. Imagine being at work and asking a co-worker, "Do you play Destiny? We should play together sometime!" and having that be all that is required for the beginning of a great co-op experience. It would allow people to play with each other with an ease and scope unlike anything in existence.

If Destiny turns out amazing beyond our expectations, it will be a travesty against fun to segment people from playing with each other solely because of the different $500 proprietary gaming computers in which they chose to invest.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 10:17 (4014 days ago) @ HiredN00bs

From the perspective of a Lone Wolf, it's likely any version would suffice, otherwise, the logistical difficulties of playing Destiny with friends and communities quickly become apparent.

But beyond solving basic social networking problems, a unified game universe would also serve towards a sense of community that is greater than the sum of its parts. Imagine being at work and asking a co-worker, "Do you play Destiny? We should play together sometime!" and having that be all that is required for the beginning of a great co-op experience. It would allow people to play with each other with an ease and scope unlike anything in existence.

If Destiny turns out amazing beyond our expectations, it will be a travesty against fun to segment people from playing with each other solely because of the different $500 proprietary gaming computers in which they chose to invest.

Yup!

And it had also better support 4 player splitscreen, the most social mode of all.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 17:32 (4014 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I would be very happy to hear of split-screen support, though I'm not sure if that would work. Hopefully it'll be possible, or at least 2-player split-screen will be.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, May 24, 2013, 06:07 (4013 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And it had also better support 4 player splitscreen, the most social mode of all.

Hmm. Maybe 2-player. How common is 4 player splitscreen now in other games?

I'd sooner see them use increased graphics horsepower to drive multiple displays. I realize that may not be a common situation, but as a compromise between splitscreen and having two complete systems, having an extra monitor or TV that can be moved into position near the console for multiplayer gaming offers a better view without necessarily spending a bundle.

Tweezers?

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 09:08 (4015 days ago) @ FyreWulff

- No text -

possibly nothing needs to be done

by electricpirate @, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 10:23 (4014 days ago) @ FyreWulff

Splintering has a too possible negative effects

1. I can't play with my friends
2. The population is too thin on my platform of choice, so I can't find people to play with/or people in the world.

As for 1, sadly there's not much that can be done. That's by design of the platform holders, as they feel it's in their best interest to hold your friends list hostage (FWIW of course, it's also an advantage that I can keep it from game to game. A third party independant, cross platform friends list would be great)

As for Destiny, how much of an issue will it be? I mean, if destiny was a traditional MMO, splitting the playerbase into 4 wouldn't be enough. Most MMOs (and even large scale shooters like PS2) have dozens of different servers. Destiny seems different though, as it's designed around curating small interactions, rather than just putting everyone in a mixer and letting you go.

Bungie is accomplishing this via some form of matchmaking, which in my experience has a logarithmic relationship between game quality and population. IE, double the population in Team Objective improved MM significantly, but in team slayer it had little effect.

From a players perspective, how different will it be in a heavily populated version vs. a less populated one? The big, obvious signs of matchmaking breaking down: Long waits and bad matches are less of an issue from what we know. Instead of sitting in a screen waiting, you are just playing, and you may or may not run into people. Depending on how pivotal those other people are to your enjoyment, you may not notice, or it may be a big deal, but either way, it's less obtrusive than sitting in a blue screen waiting.

So the final question is, "How many people do we need in each version?" Dark souls is probably a good clue here. When I played DS on the 360 it had pushed maybe 600k copies at that point, and I rarely had issues summoning or getting summoned. Also worth noting, DS has extremely rigid matchmaking, a little flexibility, and larger server populations (I think it was broken into 3 different servers) would have probably wiped away those other issues.

So yea, I'm not too worried about it making numbers for population, but hey, maybe the content will be so sprawling that it will be an issue. There's a lot of unknowns here.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread