So, who's getting Destiny for PlayStation?

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 23:50 (4087 days ago)

The next generation is upon us, with the PS4 and "720" expected to be out this fall. I plan on getting Destiny the day it comes out and I'm getting it for next-gen, but the question remains "Which system will I play it on?" While I've enjoyed playing the Halo and Gears of War series, Microsoft is going to have to do more than that to get me to be an early adopter of their next system (especially considering I'm not really caring for the direction 343I is taking Halo), and unless they really impress with a good selection of exclusives at E3, I'm seriously considering getting a PS4 first and waiting to get the next-gen Xbox until Halo 5 comes out (and by then the system will be at a year or two old and will likely have gotten its first price cut). While I'm not 100% set on getting a PS4 first, given Sony's better selection of exclusives, I feel they'll be a better long-term investment. If I do get a PS4 first, that'll be the system I'll be getting Destiny for. While many people on my XBL friends list might be getting it for the 720, I'm not going to be an early adopter of that system just to play that one game on it and keep paying $60 a year for XBL on top of that. Ultimately, it's going to come down to what Microsoft shows off for us in the coming months.

So, is anyone else considering getting a PS4 and getting Destiny for it?

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 00:08 (4087 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

My personal motivations

Pro neXtbox: Pretty much all my friends have xboxes. Also, while I felt Halo 4 was disappointing in certain ways, I am still curious to see where the story goes, and I hope that 343 learns from their mistakes and does a better job with Halo 5.

Pro PS4: If the rumours are true and the neXtbox somehow does not allow the use of pre-owned games, that alone might sway me to crossover to the PS4. Also, the PS has some really cool looking exclusives, and this might be a chance to check them out.

But as of right now, I am not making a decision until after Microsoft has their next gen unveiling, or more likely until after E3. So, depending on the system I get, that will be the one I buy Destiny for.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 01:29 (4087 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Given that "exclusive" is a word that I think will mean less and less in the next generation, it's a bit presumptuous to compare the exclusives at this point.

I don't know which one I will get yet, mostly due to that fact that there is very little officially known about the PS4 and next to nothing know about the next xbox.

In the end I'll probably lean towards whichever one has a better online network and more comfortable controller.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 11:55 (4087 days ago) @ kidtsunami

In the end I'll probably lean towards whichever one has a better online network and more comfortable controller.

On that note, from the pictures I've seen of the PS4 controller it looks like they made an effort to contour the hand-grips more, like the 360 controller. So I'm hopeful that it will finally be decent to hold.

It's hard to compare on that basis yet, though, since we don't know what the next XBox's will be like. It wouldn't be at all foolish of them to keep it essentially the same shape, with possibly some new input mechanism (touchpad, etc.) tacked on. Personally, I wouldn't mind if they went ahead and integrated the chat pad. But who knows, maybe it'll be something completely new and unique?

I like the concepts they're showing for the PS4. I like it more than the PS3 and most importantly, I get the feeling they've tried to address the shortcomings that system had. I probably will get one at some point. Probably shortly after it gets its first God of War game.

But on the other hand, all of my gaming friends are on XBox Live, I've liked the selection of games available for the 360, and $60 a year isn't enough that I really notice it. So I don't think the PS4 is really tempting me to a degree that I'm likely to get it first and have to start up a whole new friends' list. This could change if the next XBox has something about it that really puts me off - the used games issue is a possible factor here, for instance.

Actually, has it been CONFIRMED that the PS4 allows used games? I hear people talking about it as though it were a fact, but all I'm certain of is that Sony didn't mention it at the reveal event. Which doesn't necessarily mean anything.

The Used Games Saga

by Beckx, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 12:13 (4087 days ago) @ stabbim

Here's where it currently stands.

Yoshida confirmed that the hardware will play all games and that it can be used offline. But, he later implied that publishers will have the ability to do something to charge money. They won't say anything else. It's not clear if they were just referring to the current online pass regime, or something like it, or if the console employs technology that allows publishers the option to block a game entirely until it's licensed. Unfortunately, despite Yoshida's early words, the situation on the PS4 is just not clear.

All we have Durango are rumors, but the rumors all point in the same direction of a universal block/new license required.

My personal belief is that both systems will have functionality allowing publishers to require a new license for used games. I hope to be wrong about this. Even if the tech isn't there, I think you'll see an expansion of the online pass system to do the same thing. EA's already pioneered locking single player content behind the "online pass" in KOA:Reckoning, so really, they don't need the console manufacturers to be a on board, it just makes it easier.

The Used Games Saga

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 21:46 (4086 days ago) @ Beckx

Here's where it currently stands.

Yoshida confirmed that the hardware will play all games and that it can be used offline. But, he later implied that publishers will have the ability to do something to charge money. They won't say anything else. It's not clear if they were just referring to the current online pass regime, or something like it, or if the console employs technology that allows publishers the option to block a game entirely until it's licensed. Unfortunately, despite Yoshida's early words, the situation on the PS4 is just not clear.

Thanks. That clears it up for me, at least as much as is possible.

EA's already pioneered locking single player content behind the "online pass" in KOA:Reckoning

WHAAAAT??? Ack, I was thinking of picking that game up at some point, too. Despite knowing the universe is now defunct, I thought the combat in the demo seemed like fun.

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 05:27 (4087 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

The next generation is upon us, with the PS4 and "720" expected to be out this fall. I plan on getting Destiny the day it comes out and I'm getting it for next-gen, but the question remains "Which system will I play it on?" While I've enjoyed playing the Halo and Gears of War series, Microsoft is going to have to do more than that to get me to be an early adopter of their next system (especially considering I'm not really caring for the direction 343I is taking Halo), and unless they really impress with a good selection of exclusives at E3, I'm seriously considering getting a PS4 first and waiting to get the next-gen Xbox until Halo 5 comes out (and by then the system will be at a year or two old and will likely have gotten its first price cut). While I'm not 100% set on getting a PS4 first, given Sony's better selection of exclusives, I feel they'll be a better long-term investment. If I do get a PS4 first, that'll be the system I'll be getting Destiny for. While many people on my XBL friends list might be getting it for the 720, I'm not going to be an early adopter of that system just to play that one game on it and keep paying $60 a year for XBL on top of that. Ultimately, it's going to come down to what Microsoft shows off for us in the coming months.

So, is anyone else considering getting a PS4 and getting Destiny for it?

This is 100% EXACTLY how I feel. I cannot tell you how strange that is. Maybe you and I will play it together on our PS4s!!

by Atsumi ⌂, Jefferson City, MO, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 05:28 (4087 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

It all depends on what Microsoft shows for the new Xbox. It's up in the air at the moment.

Another one of these threads?

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 07:01 (4087 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

I'm pretty sure there are at least two more of these discussions a few threads down (or pages over I suppose) that are already discussing this. Actually, here is the main one that you might have missed. This forum moves.... differently than HBO. :)

While I appreciate the the discussion, I think the general consensus is that for most consumers its too early to tell, especially since we haven't even seen Microsoft's response or product yet.

To each their own.

I'm not loyal to a console, I like franchises and who I can play it with. Destiny has many options. If it is a game that I want to get I will get it on whatever system makes financial sense and where my friends are.

Again, putting the cart before the horse here. I'm not going to make up my mind until I've seen more than one option.

This is a road we shouldn't go down.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 07:22 (4087 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I'm pretty sure there are at least two more of these discussions a few threads down (or pages over I suppose) that are already discussing this. Actually, here is the main one that you might have missed. This forum moves.... differently than HBO. :)

I don't want to sound like an overbearing tyrant - but please, if you're not an admin here, do NOT tell people what they should or shouldn't post.

The thread you referenced had its last input 4 days ago - so for most readers, it's nowhere NEAR the front page. And with a thread title like 'Microhard to Sonyboy?' people can be forgiven for not realizing that it might be relevant to their interests if they're considering a PS4 over the next Xbox.

If reposts become a problem, we'll figure out something to do about them. In the meantime, though, let's try not to stifle reasonable discussion just because you saw something last week that was similar. Thanks!

This is a road we shouldn't go down.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 07:45 (4087 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I don't want to sound like an overbearing tyrant - but please, if you're not an admin here, do NOT tell people what they should or shouldn't post.

The thread you referenced had its last input 4 days ago - so for most readers, it's nowhere NEAR the front page. And with a thread title like 'Microhard to Sonyboy?' people can be forgiven for not realizing that it might be relevant to their interests if they're considering a PS4 over the next Xbox.

If reposts become a problem, we'll figure out something to do about them. In the meantime, though, let's try not to stifle reasonable discussion just because you saw something last week that was similar. Thanks!

Duly noted, however please keep in mind that I never once said to not post this type of thread or discussion and I did direct to the main one (agreed on the not so tasteful title) to reference whats been said so far.

I know that this new forum takes some getting used to. Personally I've seen enough of these discussions on b.net and gaf that its tiresome when the console hasn't even been shown yet.

I feel like had I just linked the first thread and not said anything that would have pissed more people off .

But yes, I know what you are saying. I will strive to do my best to not cause strife here. Hopefully I'm improving.

Buckle up. :)

by Beckx, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 07:47 (4087 days ago) @ Revenant1988

This is nothing. Ever gone through a generation transition before? Things are going to get ugly/hilarious (depending on your point of view).

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 07:57 (4087 days ago) @ Beckx

This is nothing. Ever gone through a generation transition before? Things are going to get ugly/hilarious (depending on your point of view).

Not on the internet, no.

I've missed forum discussions for releases regarding consoles, Halo CE through Halo ODST and Bungie switching to a new IP.

I know there are folks who have been through em before and know what to expect regarding... conversation lol. I don't and it shows. Like I said, I don't think I have problems or rub people the wrong way on HBO but here on DBO I haven't had much luck or found a spot yet. I'm trying to not be a dick here. If I keep failing, I'll go away as this place doesn't deserve it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2HMxiSF5w0

(^^How do you embed a video here? what is the proper code??)

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Thursday, February 28, 2013, 12:25 (4086 days ago) @ Beckx

I can't wait.

by Daedalos42, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 07:42 (4087 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

I'll probably just get it for the 360. :P I'll buy a next-gen Xbox when Halo 5 comes out.

by Beckx, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 07:45 (4087 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

Barring some strange reversal, I'll be getting a PS4 day one, and the Share feature is a compelling reason for me to want to do most of my gaming on it.

But as I said a few days ago, I'm excited to see what MS has to show. I'm a bit worried about a couple of the rumored items (a mandatory kinect install being the biggest).

My sense from all the rumors (including Jon Blow's summary of why he chose to develop for PS4 rather than Durango) is that PS4 may end up being the better all-in gaming machine, while Durango will be very strong in games but more focused on other media consumption. That, too, will be a factor for me. Lastly, if PS4's used game lock is at publisher option and Durango's is more universally enforced, that will be another factor (not because I'm looking to hit the local gamestop but rather as a collector who often picks up titles years after they've ceased to be available at retail).

At the end of the day, it comes down to this: Destiny isn't the game that will drive my desire to own a specific console, because it will be available on all of them, and while they will be different in many ways, they're both x86 and I don't expect big publisher multiplats to be that different. I'm in for PS4. If Durango has games I want to play, I'll be in for that, too (as mentioned days ago, Cave, MOSS and G.rev games may be the biggest driver for me to pick one up). After all, I only needed to hear "Platinum games" to make me buy a Wii U. :)

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 08:32 (4087 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid
edited by Grizzlei, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 08:37

At the moment, I'm going to purchase it on the PlayStation 4 for the prettiness and Xbox 360 to experience it with my friends. An exclusive next-generation release on the PS4 is going to see me on being an early adopter solely for Destiny.

If it comes out for the next generation Xbox, I'll purchase it for that console if it you're able to cross-play with Xbox 360 users like you could with original Xbox games. If not, then I dunno. Maybe sink further into depression? Become a hooker? Open an ice cream stand in Fairbanks, AK? Who knows...

plz bungie no cross-play btwn consoles

by Flynn J Taggart, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 15:58 (4087 days ago) @ Grizzlei

At the moment, I'm going to purchase it on the PlayStation 4 for the prettiness and Xbox 360 to experience it with my friends. An exclusive next-generation release on the PS4 is going to see me on being an early adopter solely for Destiny.

If it comes out for the next generation Xbox, I'll purchase it for that console if it you're able to cross-play with Xbox 360 users like you could with original Xbox games. If not, then I dunno. Maybe sink further into depression? Become a hooker? Open an ice cream stand in Fairbanks, AK? Who knows...

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 16:31 (4087 days ago) @ Flynn J Taggart

Any particular reason you hate fun?! :P

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 16:33 (4087 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Fairbanks ice cream is fun.

by Flynn J Taggart, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 17:26 (4087 days ago) @ uberfoop

Ice cream is amazing.

Fairbanks is just OK.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 17:36 (4087 days ago) @ Flynn J Taggart

Ice cream is amazing.

Fairbanks is just OK.

Let's resolve this. If you had to choose between:

1-Having ice cream in Fairbanks
2-Not being in Fairbanks but also not having ice cream

Which would you choose.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 01, 2013, 09:01 (4085 days ago) @ uberfoop

Being a hooker in Fairbanks is probably the most lucrative. (<--not a suggestion.)

I'm mute on the console topic until we know what the choices really are.

Subscriptions!!! *OT*

by Kitekiller, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 09:58 (4087 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

and keep paying $60 a year for XBL on top of that.

I know this has been a sticking point this generation, but it's not going away. Sony showed off some impressive services, some of which even they said weren't working yet, and I really doubt any of that will be free. It would take money to maintain that infrastructure, money that i don't think console or game sales could cover. A page on their social network will probably be free, and maybe online pay, but all the video sharing will likely cost some measure of money (even Bungie charged for that). The fact they didn't talk about costs at all during their presentation almost guarantee's that it's nothing to get excited about

Not that it's all peaches on the Microsoft side. At best I expect a tiered service to be introduced (starting at the current price) and at worst, a general blanket price raise, but that's a bit too much speculation, even for me.

As you said, time will tell, until then, I'm not committing to anything. Although, wouldn't it be great if Bungie was the first developer to offer cross platform play to Sony and Microsoft!!

by mikefishr, Bloomington, IN, Thursday, February 28, 2013, 08:15 (4086 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

I'd seriously consider getting a PS4 and Destiny for the PS4 if and only if Microsoft doesn't amaze me with the new Xbox.

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Thursday, February 28, 2013, 12:24 (4086 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

Once the info for both consoles is released to the public and when I have the capability to make a reasonable judgement about Destiny, I plan to make a long and complicated list of the advantages and disadvantages of both consoles.

I will be assigning different weights to a variety of categories according to their importance in order to make the best rational decision I can possibly make.

Or, I could save myself a ton of time and effort and just buy whichever one is the most sexy.

:)

Which one is more sexy...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, February 28, 2013, 12:24 (4086 days ago) @ Kalamari

Well the PS4 is apparently invisible, so how can you beat that?

What about player population?

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Thursday, February 28, 2013, 15:20 (4086 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

I wonder which console will have the greater Destiny population? Anyone care to pose a guess?

Being that many fans of Halo like Xbox and many Halo fans are probably also Bungie fans, I think that the Xbox population will probably be greater than the PS4 population. Unless something crazy happens and the PS4 turns out to be vastly more popular than Xbox, I don't foresee PS4 having a greater population.

In the long run, the must-have console will probably be the console that has the greater player population.

This Guy!

by Hyokin, New York, Thursday, February 28, 2013, 18:39 (4085 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

I've been a huge fan of the Xbox 360, but before that I was a Playstation fan. For awhile, Emmy and I were kinda split on which console to go for next. We're probably going to go with the PS4 for three reasons:

-Online Multiplayer is not $60 a year.

-Over the past few years, the Xbox 360 dashboard has become filled with ads. There is no reason their next console won't be the same.

-Bethesda releases their games on both consoles, so I won't miss out on Elder Scrolls VI.

This Guy!

by petetheduck, Friday, March 01, 2013, 09:15 (4085 days ago) @ Hyokin

-Online Multiplayer is not $60 a year.

If you pay $60 a year for X-Box Live, you're a chump. It is easy to find for $40, sometimes you can even find it for $35. Mine just expired and I found a promotion online that gave me 1 month for $1.

This. And...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, March 01, 2013, 09:20 (4085 days ago) @ petetheduck

...none of the points are actually valid yet anyway.

I mean:

1) You can't say PSN won't cost $60 a year too. Unless I missed out something, nothing is confirmed just yet.

2) You don't know if PSN will also be a marketing clusterfuck.

3) Well, that's not really a positive point, it's just a non-negative. :P

What a moxy rebuttal!

by Hyokin, New York, Friday, March 01, 2013, 13:49 (4085 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

by PsychoRaven, Oklahoma, Friday, March 01, 2013, 05:59 (4085 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

Right now I have it preordered for the PS3 but depending on if online play is free or not on the PS4 I'll switch over to that when you can preorder it for PS4. Right now you can only be notified when available for preorder on Amazon.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread