Bungie wins lawsuit against player who harassed its staff. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, July 13, 2023, 08:05 (291 days ago)
edited by cheapLEY, Thursday, July 13, 2023, 08:13

https://www.polygon.com/23793493/bungie-destiny-2-harassment-lawsuit

This is good. Maybe we can extend this to dumb assholes who harass Target employees because they sell clothes with rainbows or idiots who are mad about women on beer cans. It’s nice to see some actual consequences for this shit.

Bungie wins lawsuit against player who harassed its staff.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, July 13, 2023, 10:43 (291 days ago) @ cheapLEY

https://www.polygon.com/23793493/bungie-destiny-2-harassment-lawsuit

This is good. Maybe we can extend this to dumb assholes who harass Target employees because they sell clothes with rainbows or idiots who are mad about women on beer cans. It’s nice to see some actual consequences for this shit.

I agree that it's good, because there SHOULD be consequences for being a dick. I'm a little unhappy that the beneficiary is Bungie, and not the guy who got harassed... but (as the article points out) that outcome is the one that's likely to incentivize companies to protect their workers, so...

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, July 13, 2023, 11:32 (291 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Oh, that gets messy for sure. It’s not an ideal outcome, but it is a good one, I think.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 13, 2023, 12:17 (291 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I agree that it's good, because there SHOULD be consequences for being a dick. I'm a little unhappy that the beneficiary is Bungie, and not the guy who got harassed...

At least we know he'll never be subject to another company pizza party ever again.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, July 13, 2023, 14:40 (291 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by ManKitten, Thursday, July 13, 2023, 14:53

Are we just going to gloss over Bungie's legal team responses?

"This one was a really emotional win, y’all."
"It’s some of the best lawyering I’ve ever done."
"And a hearty fuck you to the dregs of digital society..."

Do they roll into the courtroom wearing jeans and hoodies talking to the judge like "Waddup Teach!" Blowing vape smoke in the other attorneys face. Endlessly dabbing as the trial decision is read. Then they pull a microphone out just to drop it and walk out. They look at the other bench and whisper "You just got lawyered, son."

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, July 13, 2023, 17:52 (290 days ago) @ ManKitten
edited by Kermit, Thursday, July 13, 2023, 18:05

Do they roll into the courtroom wearing jeans and hoodies talking to the judge like "Waddup Teach!" Blowing vape smoke in the other attorneys face. Endlessly dabbing as the trial decision is read. Then they pull a microphone out just to drop it and walk out. They look at the other bench and whisper "You just got lawyered, son."

Apparently.

I have no sympathy for the convicted. That said, civility could use better defenders.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, July 13, 2023, 18:00 (290 days ago) @ Kermit

Yeah that’s totally the key take away here. Jesus Christ.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, July 13, 2023, 18:33 (290 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yeah that’s totally the key take away here. Jesus Christ.

It's totally not. I don't know what elicited your reaction, but if you want to talk to me about this post, you know where to find me. We could probably have an interesting discussion.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, July 14, 2023, 12:00 (290 days ago) @ Kermit

I’m just tired of hearing this respectability politics horseshit. Nothing these lawyers said was uncivil in any way, but even if it was, I’m sick of this “No one is kind anymore! That’s what’s wrong with America now!” rhetoric that’s so popular now. As if that’s the issue instead of the fact that half the country keeps putting people in power and wants policies that literally want to kill friends of mine. There’s no civil conversation to be had in that regard, and I won’t be nice to those people—they can’t eat my entire ass. Fuck ‘em.

I realize that’s not actually what you said and I’m extrapolating, but I just came off an extremely terrible interaction with a family member that started very similarly and I was in a bad mood, so I’m sorry for that.

Family.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, July 14, 2023, 17:14 (289 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I realize that’s not actually what you said and I’m extrapolating, but I just came off an extremely terrible interaction with a family member that started very similarly and I was in a bad mood, so I’m sorry for that.

I was going to say something about this threads back and forth, which I find to be a right stupid back and forth from folks who know each other well enough. Was going to say something about emotion over merits, costs of traditions lost or some shit, but...

Family. Ah! Lifes force multiplayer on whatever it is. ...

I wasn't even there and I want to apologize! Sorry man. Shit.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, July 15, 2023, 10:00 (289 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Kermit, Saturday, July 15, 2023, 10:51

I’m just tired of hearing this respectability politics horseshit. Nothing these lawyers said was uncivil in any way, but even if it was, I’m sick of this “No one is kind anymore! That’s what’s wrong with America now!” rhetoric that’s so popular now.

My post was about the legal context, where I think respectability plays an important role, but that's a different post. Regarding the political divide, I'd advocate for a culture that allows space for civil debate about the merits and demerits of policy x or y. I would hope that this sentiment is not portrayed as the exclamation-point-ridden position you describe.

As if that’s the issue instead of the fact that half the country keeps putting people in power and wants policies that literally want to kill friends of mine. There’s no civil conversation to be had in that regard, and I won’t be nice to those people—they can’t eat my entire ass. Fuck ‘em.

I understand your position, and I have people close to me who probably belong to the half of country you criticize, and if they read what you wrote, they would wholeheartedly agree with you, but they wouldn't be talking about the same half you're talking about.

This is how we live now. We've created bubbles in which the most extreme, ugliest motives are all we see of "the other side," so naturally we come to see these as THE motives at play. More reasonable concerns--concerns that more (if not most) people would agree are at least reasonable--aren't brought to the table because there is no common table we sit at anymore. And as we see extremes, we become more extreme, and feel more justified in our hatred of "the other." It's a downward spiral.

My weakness, for better or for worse, is that I doubt my expertise. When I'm charitable, I'll say I have a writer's curiosity about how other people think. (Some of this also might be because humility is a central tenet of my belief system, but the truth is I fail at humility all the time. <--humble brag proves my point.) Let me put it this way: Due to choices I've made regarding friendships, where to live, what to study, and where to work, I'm had the experience of being very close to people who vote in opposite ways, yet who I'm positive are much more informed and educated than me. I'm not talking about the crazy uncle or that conspiracy nutjob in the gym locker room. I'm talking about extremely bright people I know well, people with whom I talk about what they believe and why, and what I'm routinely struck by is how little the other side knows about how or what they think, and how rarely people live down to how they're caricatured.

If I try to express this I'm accused of being a devil's advocate, which at this late date makes me indistinguishable from the devil himself. It must be said that some have descended into caricature--don't get me started on our horrible political class. The outcome is I've lost a number of diverse friends, and it pains me, mainly because I don't talk to people about what they believe like I used to, and at the end of the day I'm sure that makes this dumb guy dumber.

No worries. Maybe now I've said some things now that match up with what you extrapolated, and I hope you'll grant me some grace. Despite some harshness in our exchanges here, I haven't forgotten the guy I've played with and hung out with--a good-hearted dude who has interesting things to say. Unfortunately, it might take some extreme circumstances, like getting stuck in an elevator or something, but I'm sure I would learn a lot from a long conversation with you.

Take care,

Kerm

Do you not know any lawyers?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, July 14, 2023, 10:49 (290 days ago) @ ManKitten

It's not like they actually did what you just made up.

These are all comments OUTSIDE of a courtroom AFTER the whole suit was done.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, July 14, 2023, 12:02 (290 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Yeah, god forbid they celebrate a good courtroom victory like normal people instead of just being lawyer robots at all times. This is absolutely a wild reaction to what they said that I legitimately don’t understand.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Friday, July 14, 2023, 14:00 (290 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yeah, god forbid they celebrate a good courtroom victory like normal people instead of just being lawyer robots at all times. This is absolutely a wild reaction to what they said that I legitimately don’t understand.

Whoa now....I'm not passing judgement one way or the other. I was having some fun with the situation. These are responses that you just don't see from a legal team. Whether you see it as bad or good, I saw it as humorous.

Considering the context of the case, "taking the high road" might have been the better option than the "hearty f*** you" in the vein of leading by example, but hey, that's not how they roll.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, July 14, 2023, 17:01 (289 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm here from the Ars Technica article, which I was to post, but now indeed I don't need to. Here it is anyway.

All I really have to add here is that the "Destiny 2 community manager" was dmg04. I don't KNOW this per say, but I have a fair degree of confidence that the community manager mentioned is definitely definitely dmg04. It's probably why he called what cards he had, and left his position at Bungie. And I'd say all this... ignorant ugliness is part of the reason why we no longer have names with faces "like the good ol' days". Why we now have a "@Destiny2Team" where an amalgamation of voices can be one without putting faces on the line.

This is why we can't have nice things. *sigh*

by Robot Chickens, Friday, July 14, 2023, 17:30 (289 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Just to point out, Bungie went out of the way to not name the manager for protection purposes. You can find it in the evidence if you look hard enough, but we may want to minimize our discussion of the individual. Also, I agree with your sentiment.

*Sigh*

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, July 14, 2023, 18:38 (289 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Just to point out, Bungie went out of the way to not name the manager for protection purposes. You can find it in the evidence if you look hard enough, but we may want to minimize our discussion of the individual. Also, I agree with your sentiment.

Yeah. It's a publicly available legal brief, of course. Short the bits and bobs of legalese "Calvinball", there is no bull (or should not be, one would hope) on the hard truths of what actually occurred in its case per the evidence available. Under oath, indeed.

If my singular, confident supposition is really so dangerous, then that is truly a frightful consideration. And in that thought, in that consideration, we are all, collectively, truly disorganized, uneducated, and undisciplined fools to have allowed, in our distant unfocused outrage, things to be ever so profitably churned to such a degree. That a slight mention towards an evidence-less what if, regardless of the assertions, would be a catalyst for some renewed effort for further sorts of trauma incurred? Heavens above.

Though that may be true anyway, regardless the topic at hand.

I have to wonder how much of the environmental poisons, both cast forth from ignorance in the cost of the "miraculous" ability, and made so out of economical requirements, have compounded the social poisons so beautifully unlabeled and ready to drink at a few taps of a finger.

Anyway... this is a gaming forum so... hey all! How about them microtransactions!

*sigh*

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread