RNJesus thinks I need work, maybe (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Monday, July 03, 2023, 22:32 (300 days ago)

I played some Trials this week. Went okay. Got to 6 wins twice. Lost the seventh game both times. So it goes, right?

I sort of felt like the last one was... well, Squid's pointed out that it's just RNG, and sometimes that RNG is bad. (I feel like this week, I was NEVER on this side of an RNG seesaw. Most of the games were okay - I won a couple that DestinyTracker said I should have lost, I lost one I should have won, a couple were lopsided, but none like this.)

Flying in, I see two 2-stacks, and another single.

Here's what DestinyTracker had to say after the game was over.

[image]

Would have been okay, mostly, if one of the gods hadn't felt the need to teabag every round... :(

You're Kidding, Right?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, July 04, 2023, 06:28 (300 days ago) @ Claude Errera

RNJesus needs a conversion, a makeover, an intervention, and maybe even a good old-fashioned ass kicking just for good measure.

RNG—really, in all its forms—is manipulated far too easily and far too often, inevitably wreaking havoc on the reward systems in our brains. Now, I personally don't know about Trials since I always stayed far away from it, but in a scenario like rank...unfortunately the numbers can be manually manipulated, too. Great players can derank or have bad days and drop their 'skill level', and casual players could hit a streak and get up higher than normal.

Really, it sucks. And I'm sorry you ran across such assholes on top of the unbalanced system too.

But Trials sucks. It's just cancer.

You're Kidding, Right?

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, July 04, 2023, 09:33 (300 days ago) @ Morpheus

RNJesus needs a conversion, a makeover, an intervention, and maybe even a good old-fashioned ass kicking just for good measure.

RNG—really, in all its forms—is manipulated far too easily and far too often, inevitably wreaking havoc on the reward systems in our brains. Now, I personally don't know about Trials since I always stayed far away from it, but in a scenario like rank...unfortunately the numbers can be manually manipulated, too. Great players can derank or have bad days and drop their 'skill level', and casual players could hit a streak and get up higher than normal.

Really, it sucks. And I'm sorry you ran across such assholes on top of the unbalanced system too.

But Trials sucks. It's just cancer.

It’s not, really. Out of 30 games this weekend, that was the only one with toxic behavior. Sucks (for me) that it was on the last game I played… but it’s really not indicative of the game type in general. Also didn’t see any rank manipulation - just people trying their best to win.

Just bad luck. Guess it wasn’t really worth a post. Sorry.

You're Kidding, Right?

by squidnh3, Wednesday, July 05, 2023, 08:10 (299 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Also didn’t see any rank manipulation - just people trying their best to win.

This is the whole reason Trials can't have skill matching, otherwise people would derank to make it easier to get 7 wins in a row.

You're Kidding, Right?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, July 05, 2023, 11:01 (299 days ago) @ squidnh3

This is the whole reason Trials can't have skill matching, otherwise people would derank to make it easier to get 7 wins in a row.

What is it currently? Are you matched by similar card performance? Like, if you have 6 wins are you put with another team that also has about 6 wins on their card? Or is it truly random like back in House of Wolves?

You're Kidding, Right?

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, July 05, 2023, 11:23 (299 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What is it currently? Are you matched by similar card performance? Like, if you have 6 wins are you put with another team that also has about 6 wins on their card? Or is it truly random like back in House of Wolves?

Up until this season, it was card-based... but that seems to have changed (at least in my personal experience). They removed the flawless pool (up until this season, as of reset on Sunday, you were separated out if you had already gone flawless for the week, but they decided that that was leading to people resetting their cards so they could farm lower-quality opponents), and one of the side effects seems to have been that there is no more card-based matchmaking. I was facing combinations of pretty much every value of win in almost every game this weekend.

I don't know how they're matching people.

You're Kidding, Right?

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, July 06, 2023, 15:32 (298 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Just a loose thought. Match based on number of wins this week. Or maybe this season?

You're Kidding, Right?

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, July 06, 2023, 16:01 (298 days ago) @ Vortech

Just a loose thought. Match based on number of wins this week. Or maybe this season?

That's possible. I'd have to look more carefully this week (there's no easy way to go back and see those numbers for last week). I'll let you know what I find out!

You're Kidding, Right?

by Zero @, Florida, Thursday, July 06, 2023, 18:55 (297 days ago) @ Claude Errera

It's just CBMM, that's it, nothing more. Just like it was in D1 at the start.

You're Kidding, Right?

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, July 09, 2023, 09:45 (295 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was brainstorming things they should do for matchmaking.

*Fire* This is Fine. *Fire*

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, July 05, 2023, 16:23 (299 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread