All These Fish (Destiny)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Friday, June 23, 2023, 11:06 (311 days ago)

It better be worth it. I'm sure it's not...but, oh well. It's kind of annoying that there are 6 steps in this quest and each step is "Catch 100 more fish*" But also, it's a nice peaceful thing to do over lunch hour or before bed.

*I know that it's points, and different levels of fish are worth different points, but let's be honest, if you average all the fish values, each fish is worth like 1.75 points.

All These Fish

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, June 23, 2023, 11:40 (311 days ago) @ ManKitten

All These Fish

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Friday, June 23, 2023, 12:16 (311 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Hahahaha sounds about right.

That's ok. I'm delusionally trying to catch all of all of the fish. (that wasn't a typo)

I'm tell'n ya guys! The fish was THIS BIG!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, June 23, 2023, 12:46 (311 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

All These Fish

by cheapLEY @, Friday, June 23, 2023, 14:42 (311 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Jesus Christ. I’m so glad I quit this game.

All These Fish

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, June 23, 2023, 14:54 (311 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I can't imagine your reaction if you had tried to give Destiny a chance again and your fishing experience ended up being this rewarding:

Is Destiny's fishing minigame the worst fishing minigame in any game ever?
Yes. Yes it is.

Warframe fishermen stay winning.

All These Fish

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, June 23, 2023, 15:23 (310 days ago) @ Korny

I can't imagine your reaction if you had tried to give Destiny a chance again and your fishing experience ended up being this rewarding:

Is Destiny's fishing minigame the worst fishing minigame in any game ever?
Yes. Yes it is.

Warframe fishermen stay winning.

In any event, it is at least the most boring QuickTime event I've ever seen in a game. And QuickTime events suck.

All These Fish

by cheapLEY @, Friday, June 23, 2023, 15:24 (310 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Heh, I was just talking to Korny about this last night. Final Fantasy 16 is the first game I’ve ever played that has quick time events that I actually like.

LOL. Legit said "Can't wait for Cheap to chime in on this".

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, June 23, 2023, 15:21 (310 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Friday, June 23, 2023, 15:23 (310 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I almost said more but thought better of it. I don’t want to be the guy that hangs around and just shits on the game I don’t play anymore, but I think that means I’m going to have to stop hanging around so much because there’s no way for me to see modern Destiny and not shit all over it.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 23, 2023, 16:21 (310 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I don’t want to be the guy that hangs around and just shits on the game I don’t play anymore.

Why not? It seems to be the most popular pasttime in the forum at this point.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, June 23, 2023, 17:18 (310 days ago) @ Kermit

Well, I don’t see any countering that by singing its praises.

by Robot Chickens, Saturday, June 24, 2023, 00:04 (310 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Robot Chickens, Saturday, June 24, 2023, 00:11

Just don’t have the energy. I don’t think I ever ventured into the toxic relationship you had with the game and your time. I leave, play other things, play nothing, and come back. I enjoy grinding some things. I avoid others ( I haven’t touched fishing). The main campaign story was awful, but so was half the story for halo 3 and it’s retcons of halo 2. It still had some great gameplay moments.

As of now, the game doesn’t require endless leveling between seasons, it has a ton of great features for build crafting and I loved the story/environment of this last season.

What I see from the tone of a lot the hang-arounds is a “wake up sheeple” vibe. I get it, when you finally pull the wool out of your eyes and evaluate a toxic situation clearly, you want to spread this new knowledge around. This happens a lot in both religious conversion and exodus. The thing is, not everyone had the same experience with the systems as y’all. I’m just not going to debate my experience against someone else who clearly found it costed more than they bargained for. That sucks that it burned you so badly. Btw, I’m not suggesting you stop posting- I just felt the need to respond to your last comment. Also, for what it’s worth, I miss playing with you (not in a subtle “come back” way though). Cheers!

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, June 24, 2023, 05:08 (310 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Just don’t have the energy.

Me either, really. I didn’t really mean in a sense of no one literally debating me. I just mean, when was the last time anyone posted a cool thing that happened in the game? Where’s any excitement for it? The lack of posting about it here doesn’t prove that there isn’t anything exciting or cool happening, of course.

Btw, I’m not suggesting you stop posting- I just felt the need to respond to your last comment.

Oh, I’ll probably never truly leave. I like you all too much to do that. But I try do not want to be the guy hanging around and bringing the place down. I think I’ve done a decent job of that since I quit, mostly just responding to things that aren’t about Destiny. But between that monetization video and what looks like the worst, laziest fishing mini game I’ve ever seen, I guess my negativity got the better of me. It was a sudden sadness for what Bungie has become, but even that is no longer a conversation worth having—the ship has sailed.

Also, for what it’s worth, I miss playing with you (not in a subtle “come back” way though). Cheers!

I do appreciate that, so thanks.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, June 24, 2023, 11:28 (310 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Me either, really. I didn’t really mean in a sense of no one literally debating me. I just mean, when was the last time anyone posted a cool thing that happened in the game? Where’s any excitement for it? The lack of posting about it here doesn’t prove that there isn’t anything exciting or cool happening, of course.

Yeah, I assume cool stuff happens all the time. Really enjoyed doing the dungeon blind with Robot and squid a few weeks ago. Insane posts cool stuff with frequency. Sometimes I think there's not a lot of activity here because this community skews older, and we have other demands on our time, and playing the game itself takes a chunk of it. And when there is something to discuss about something new, excitement is met with cynicism, routinely. Often from people who don't play the game anymore. The boundaries of our discussions are often dictated by or responding to whatever is trending on social media, and is there any time when that's not negative?

I think the kind of fandom that existed when I got here 20-plus years ago is dead. In 2023, it's just seen as naive. Yet what Robot said about religious conversion and exodus rings true, too. We live in a time that encourages ALL opinions and beliefs to take on a religious cast, and you're either one of the good people or bad people, a believer or heretic, and the ability to do what Robot just did, describe with accuracy a position he does not personally hold, is rare. The humility and acceptance required is just not valued culturally. At minimum, the bubbles we create with our media shield us from opportunities to use those muscles, and I think this makes us less than we could be. Definitely dumber and more strident.

I hope you don't go away from here, cheapLEY, but if you did, I'd like to keep in touch. We don't have to play the same game, or have the same opinions about everything, to be friends.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 25, 2023, 17:05 (308 days ago) @ Kermit

I think the kind of fandom that existed when I got here 20-plus years ago is dead. In 2023, it's just seen as naive.

Dunno man, the Final Fantasy 7 fandom right now feels like what you describe as extinct. Constant fan art, tips and tricks, rampant speculation, funny happenings, and game challenges. It's almost like people love the game or something and are stoked out of their minds for the adventure to continue.

Meanwhile on the Destiny Reddit:
[image]

I wonder what's different?

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, June 25, 2023, 17:18 (308 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by cheapLEY, Sunday, June 25, 2023, 17:58

With rare exception, the communities for live service games are all toxic pits of negativity. The Witcher 3 is nearing a decade old, and while that subreddit isn’t exactly thriving, it’s still pretty active and filled with people loving the game.

That’s still a hard comparison—reddit is a platform with millions and millions of users, and there’s like a dozen regular posters here.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 25, 2023, 17:27 (308 days ago) @ cheapLEY

With rare exception, the communities for live service games are all toxic pits of negativity. The Witcher 3 is nearing a decade old, and while that subreddit isn’t exactly thriving, it’s still pretty active and filled with people loving the game.

That’s still a hard comparison—reddit isn’t a platform with millions and millions of users, and there’s like a dozen regular posters here.

Eh just compare /r/FFVIIRemake to /r/DestinyTheGame

[image]

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, June 24, 2023, 20:20 (309 days ago) @ cheapLEY

A bunch of people I play with have shared live and on forums how much they love fishing. And I…don't get it. So, I don't do it. (I didn't get it in Animal Crossing either.) But I may join a voice chat with them while they fish and I do other stuff until we do something together.

I think we post about stuff less here because so little of the game is purely solo so we already shared with someone. And sharing about new stuff is spoiling and sharing about old stiff seems pointless as it's old stuff. I like playing Cribbage and Catan and Threes and tennis, but I don't share it with people because the thing that is good about the experience is not the novelty. I've done it before and so have the people I would tell, so why bother memorializing it. I imagine it is like when I would see old men playing dominoes in the park. It will be fun if you were there for it, but if not, then the power of it leaves with the moment.

Posting cool things (and other wise).

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, June 25, 2023, 07:30 (309 days ago) @ cheapLEY

September of last year, I think ;D. I know I know! I've really pulled back on spamming the forum with my ever building, ungainly collection of gaming exploits, YA DON'T HAVE TO RUB IT IN! D':

('cuzeverythingallexpsensiveandIgottagobeanadultandstuffandbleh)

I've... there must have a years worth of clips and what not of destiny moments (as well as other games) including some clips of this one player who I had on my team, a warlock, who pulled off some PvP plays that make "pro streamer" hunters look like little bitches, more or less. Or at least, it's my recollection of it... I sure hope I clipped that.

Oh and all sorts or Arcstrider stuff, because duh... and soon-ish, once I finish creating the companion to it, I'll be posting a video about this day.

That day... was quite a day.

Oh, I’ll probably never truly leave. I like you all too much to do that.

*GERRKKK-lol* Sucker...err, uh... ah screw it, you're not much for taste huh? ;D lol

But I try do not want to be the guy hanging around and bringing the place down. I think I’ve done a decent job of that since I quit, mostly just responding to things that aren’t about Destiny. But between that monetization video and what looks like the worst, laziest fishing mini game I’ve ever seen, I guess my negativity got the better of me. It was a sudden sadness for what Bungie has become, but even that is no longer a conversation worth having—the ship has sailed.

I look forward to making you post again. I also have a clip, right now, which I edited together that would make ya do it. Post with such a fury of... "WTF, is this actually in game!?" And the answer is yes. YES! IT IS! I DON"T UNDERSTAND IT EITHER!!! D: It's SOOoooo dumb. And, frankly, despite the subtle change which is implied to the story in the edit which I made... it would still deserve 110% of such ire. As a hint, do note I've not posted any...*ahem*...

"INSANEdrive Flavored Rants/Critiques"

...about Lightfall, short the little I already called day one, and five and whatever else. This is because I've yet to beat the end game boss solo on legendary on all three characters, thanks to the utterly unfun bullshit that is the lightfall story endgame battle. AND as a result, I have yet to unlock Strand for either Hunter or Titan. AND, as I expect I'll just end up ranting about smaller aspects, and not the whole Lightfall deal, I'll probably end up posting this clip along with the clip duo implied aforementioned above, since I don't have time to bitch-out hot facts like a banshee-in-heat for fun.

sORRY. (LOL ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

TL;DR - DOn'T RusH me MAN! IT's Com'n ITS Com'N! D: ... ;D

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, June 25, 2023, 10:55 (309 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

It was always us, right? I always posted about how cool the newest Dungeons were, how fun the seasonal weapons are. I raved about Season of the Haunted. You post clips of just fun and cool stuff all the time. None of those ever get many replies. It’s not for me to judge when and how people reply. If I don’t have anything to say, I don’t reply just for the hell of it either. But it’s no wonder folks think this place is filled with negativity—if you want to have a conversation here, it’s the only thing that ever gets any reaction. It’s difficult not to leave the with the feeling that people just aren’t excited by Destiny anymore. It’s a habit rather than a real source of joy. That’s probably not actually true for lots of folks—it’s not like they need to come here and prove their love for the game. But the silence seems telling in some ways. Even when things are very good and cool, it’s still just more of the same. The dungeons are great, but much like raids, we largely know to expect, so what is there really to talk about?

I’m rambling now without much direction or point, so I’ll stop. But folks can’t get upset by the negativity when any positivity is met with only silence.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, June 25, 2023, 13:49 (309 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It was always us, right? I always posted about how cool the newest Dungeons were, how fun the seasonal weapons are. I raved about Season of the Haunted. You post clips of just fun and cool stuff all the time. None of those ever get many replies. It’s not for me to judge when and how people reply. If I don’t have anything to say, I don’t reply just for the hell of it either. But it’s no wonder folks think this place is filled with negativity—if you want to have a conversation here, it’s the only thing that ever gets any reaction. It’s difficult not to leave the with the feeling that people just aren’t excited by Destiny anymore. It’s a habit rather than a real source of joy. That’s probably not actually true for lots of folks—it’s not like they need to come here and prove their love for the game. But the silence seems telling in some ways. Even when things are very good and cool, it’s still just more of the same. The dungeons are great, but much like raids, we largely know to expect, so what is there really to talk about?

I’m rambling now without much direction or point, so I’ll stop. But folks can’t get upset by the negativity when any positivity is met with only silence.

Except I'd say that's a big overstatement. If we're going to point to INSANE's posts, I tried to make a habit of responding to his video drops after I watched them all, but his last one might have overwhelmed me (Pro tip, Insane, and I say with this with love: I know you have this Cecil B DeMille, go big or go home attitude to your posts, but maybe distribute your stuff over time so it's not so much to watch/read?).

Is it unexpected that Destiny is less exciting than it was when it was new? DBO the community is of course a reflection of Destiny the game. And Destiny the game has been a mixed bag, full of amazing highs, and crappy lows. (Here's a topical showstopper for me. I haven't bought any silver for Destiny 2. When they said you wouldn't carry over the currency from D1, that felt like a betrayal to me. I don't begrudge anyone for buying it and using it, and I didn't let my red line keep me from playing a game I enjoyed.)

You say "[Destiny's] a habit rather than a real source of joy" but can't it be both? It' s a beautiful game with smooth movement, interesting mechanics, and fun goals that friends can tackle together. Maybe that's enough for some?

Regarding DBO, I've been a defender of this community and HBO for so long that it's habitual. It hasn't always been worth it. I don't mind negativity per se. Constructive, balanced criticism is healthy. But that comes from a place of hope. Some of us haven't given up on hoping that Bungie can stick the landing. Some obviously have, and that's fine. It's be cool and maybe healthier if the former group was be able to discuss the highs and lows here, wihout the lows being taken as an opportunity for the latter group to (sometimes smugly) claim validation.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, June 25, 2023, 17:15 (308 days ago) @ Kermit

Those are all fair points, and are certainly part of the reason I have largely stepped away. I no longer play the game, so my opinions on it don’t really matter and are no longer interesting. I do not have any hope for Bungie at all. Their handling of Destiny has destroyed any trust I had in them as developer of video games that are primarily focused on being fun. As I said, I stick around because of you all, but as this is still a place centered on Destiny, it’s kind of a futile existence.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, June 26, 2023, 09:54 (308 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'd probably do it more if I remembered to hit 'record'. Last one I posted was a couple of months ago:

https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=180731

I still play, though, pretty regularly. Of course there are things that annoy me (I'm pretty sure there's no part of my life that doesn't have those), but for the most part, I enjoy the game. I even fish without being angry that fishing exists; it's a nice break at the end of an evening, a few minutes of pulling up shinies. It can 100% be ignored if you find it boring; when folks focus on how terrible it is, I just wonder, is there really so little in this game that interests you that you have to complain about THIS? And if there is, why are you still here? (Not here in this forum, but here, in this game.) It's a trivial little activity that was added this season; if you hate it, pretend it didn't get added. You lose nothing. (I'm pretty sure most other activities will get you loot faster than fishing, so it's not even like Bungie is forcing you into it in a min-max way.)

I totally get why you're gone, Cheap, and I don't resent you at all for leaving (though I wish there were still a way to play with you)... but pointing at griping on a forum (this one, or Reddit, or really ANY forum) is not a good way to show how terrible a game is. There are lots and lots and lots of people who just play - they don't post, they don't engage the negativity, they don't register on your "it's great-it's terrible" meter. They just play. More and more, I'm becoming one of them. Engaging on forums is becoming less and less enjoyable, so I'm doing less and less of it.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 26, 2023, 12:50 (308 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I totally get why you're gone, Cheap, and I don't resent you at all for leaving (though I wish there were still a way to play with you)... but pointing at griping on a forum (this one, or Reddit, or really ANY forum) is not a good way to show how terrible a game is. There are lots and lots and lots of people who just play - they don't post, they don't engage the negativity, they don't register on your "it's great-it's terrible" meter. They just play. More and more, I'm becoming one of them. Engaging on forums is becoming less and less enjoyable, so I'm doing less and less of it.

I think the point is, where do people who DO play, and DO want an online community to talk about the game, go that isn't just people hating on Destiny?

He asks without an ounce of irony in his voice

by Robot Chickens, Monday, June 26, 2023, 14:24 (308 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think the point is, where do people who DO play, and DO want an online community to talk about the game, go that isn't just people hating on Destiny?

F I S H

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, June 23, 2023, 18:09 (310 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Honestly, fishing is its own reward. I'm glad the reward isn't something people would find themselves obligated to do something they clearly dislike so much to try and get.

*stares in The Immortal language*

Grinning Like An Idiot Over Here.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Saturday, June 24, 2023, 14:47 (310 days ago) @ ManKitten

I don't care if I said it already.

When Sonic brings better fishing game than Destiny... 😁

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread