Aztecross cooks his magnum opus... (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, June 19, 2023, 17:11 (315 days ago)

No, it's not a build, but a critique of the entire structure.

Bungie's monetization structure, actually- which has (very slowly) crept up on its users and consumed them while making them feel like they're being nurtured by it.

The pacing is flawless, the points well-informed, and the sense of betrayal palpable throughout.
I think this is a great way of consolidating all of the issues that I've had with Destiny over several years (and I'm glad that he takes a moment to highlight how a certain other game avoided all of the shortcomings that Bungie's had with Destiny).

It's a fantastic watch, and might even bring to the forefront a number of issues that have been buzzing in your ear, but that you couldn't see.

tldr?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, June 19, 2023, 18:03 (314 days ago) @ Korny

No, it's not a build, but a critique of the entire structure.

Bungie's monetization structure, actually- which has (very slowly) crept up on its users and consumed them while making them feel like they're being nurtured by it.

The pacing is flawless, the points well-informed, and the sense of betrayal palpable throughout.
I think this is a great way of consolidating all of the issues that I've had with Destiny over several years (and I'm glad that he takes a moment to highlight how a certain other game avoided all of the shortcomings that Bungie's had with Destiny).

It's a fantastic watch, and might even bring to the forefront a number of issues that have been buzzing in your ear, but that you couldn't see.

I don't do video essays

tldr

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, June 19, 2023, 18:29 (314 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I don't do video essays

Destiny 2 has become a Microtransaction Hell.

tldr

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, June 19, 2023, 18:31 (314 days ago) @ Korny

I don't do video essays

Is it the seasonal model being a transaction on top of I think the weird pass that gives you access to the dungeons?

tldr

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, June 19, 2023, 18:35 (314 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I don't do video essays

Is it the seasonal model being a transaction on top of I think the weird pass that gives you access to the dungeons?

On top of Event Passes, on top of all legacy content existing as individual purchases and mix n'match bundles, on top of Battle pass level skips selling weapons, resources, and armor Day 1 of a new season, on top of constant popups for content that you don't own, on top of...

yeah ok, that makes sense

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, June 19, 2023, 19:02 (314 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Aztecross cooks his magnum opus...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 19, 2023, 22:02 (314 days ago) @ Korny

The pacing is flawless,

Dude, I had to go double speed after about 2 minutes. I… would dispute this assessment haha.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, June 20, 2023, 14:56 (314 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Look, just because you have the attention span of a goldfish . . .

(:

It’s over half an hour long!

by Coaxkez, Tuesday, June 20, 2023, 18:53 (313 days ago) @ cheapLEY

There’s no reason this topic couldn’t have been condensed into a shorter frame of time.

Ten minutes max.

This guy gets it

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 20, 2023, 18:57 (313 days ago) @ Coaxkez

- No text -

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, June 20, 2023, 19:11 (313 days ago) @ Coaxkez

There’s no reason this topic couldn’t have been condensed into a shorter frame of time.

Ten minutes max.

And it could be a 2 minute read at that.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, June 21, 2023, 00:47 (313 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Ten minutes max.

And it could be a 2 minute read at that.

Literally any video of any length could be summarized in a two minute read. Asking for a list of bullet points misses any context or nuance for the why and the when and any details therein.

Bungie’s Microtransaction journey has been a devious and patient one, slowly weeding itself into the game and players’ psyche ever since it was first introduced, with some changes barely digging in this season.

You can listen to the first 50 seconds and then hear “Bungie crossed every single one of these lines”. And there you go. Under a minute.
IMO that’s such an uninformed way to accept or reject any stance. The journey is the thing.

You don’t have to sit and stare at the screen while the points are being made, so I dunno. Media literacy is the talk of gaming Twitter this week, and man, I see folks that just make me sad.

Wait!

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, June 21, 2023, 05:39 (313 days ago) @ Korny

You mean reading the cliffsnotes doesn’t count as reading the book?

Wait!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 21, 2023, 09:39 (313 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, June 21, 2023, 09:42

You mean reading the cliffsnotes doesn’t count as reading the book?

It’s why I appreciated a video and not a bullet point. Seeing the things, especially the store fronts and the ability to purchase season pass ranks was very helpful for getting a better picture.

You could explain to me in text how scummy Diablo Immortal was, but seeing it in action with Josh Hayes explaining gave a more complete picture.

But it could still have been done in half the time, missing nothing. I’ll happily watch Lindsay Ellis for an hour, Dan Olsen for 160 minutes, or Contrapoints for 2 hours, but that’s because they are generally efficient with their arguments as well as entertaining. You can stop for jokes!

But those people who upload 8 minute tutorials for some function of a software program where a bullet point list of steps WOULD work better… screw them.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, June 21, 2023, 08:33 (313 days ago) @ Coaxkez

I was in a hotel room and nothing else to do so I watched the whole thing. I never got bored. It was broken up into sections (which was timestamped at the beginning) and each section gave examples and evidence for his arguments. So it wasn't 35 minutes of blowharding.

fwiwimho, idk.

💯

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, June 21, 2023, 09:26 (313 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, June 21, 2023, 09:22 (313 days ago) @ Korny

Yeah, I'm watching it right now, and literally loaded this to post it. Glad you beat me to it. I mean...jfc.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread