Harbinger (Destiny)

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 22:54 (1202 days ago)

When you visit Crow now he has a new quest to complete a new mission named Harbinger that unlocks random rolls on Hawkmoon and it’s catalyst. The mission marker however won’t appear on your map. You will have to hunt it down; it’s hidden in Trostland in the EDZ behind a fireplace.
It starts off with a “maze’ and then a simple if non obvious jumping challenge.
You can actually start the mission without the quest if you know where the marker is but you won’t be able to collect feathers towards a multi week quest rewarding an exotic ship(?)
I made it about 2/3 through when I decided I’ll have to come back later with help as I kept getting overwhelmed. Hope I can find somebody, I usually play pretty late and don’t use lfgs.
Here’s how I first learned of the new quest:

Harbinger

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, January 20, 2021, 10:11 (1201 days ago) @ CougRon

Figuring out where to first go was brutal. Not sure I recommend going in blind, honestly.

Harbinger

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, January 20, 2021, 12:27 (1201 days ago) @ CougRon

I made it about 2/3 through when I decided I’ll have to come back later with help as I kept getting overwhelmed. Hope I can find somebody, I usually play pretty late and don’t use lfgs.

Happy to help you run it; platforming and frantic firefights are my jam. Just shoot me an invite whenever (I'll likely be playing Division, but I'll try to drag Fooch into it if it's early enough).

Thanks! Fun time

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Thursday, January 21, 2021, 08:18 (1200 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Harbinger: Solo

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, January 20, 2021, 13:45 (1201 days ago) @ CougRon

Just jumping on here to let everyone know the the forum madman fulfilled his duty as madman today, and did this fully solo in one sitting. First half wasn't that bad. That second half though...ooohh... *Breathing*

... well... ohhhh, it's done. Ohhh.

*Heavy Breathing*

I'mma. I'mma going to lie down. ooh my.

Username checks out

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, January 20, 2021, 15:43 (1201 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

If someone doesn’t want the Bungie Rewards shirt...

by Oholiab @, Thursday, January 21, 2021, 13:14 (1200 days ago) @ CougRon

Please keep me in mind when you get your redemption code! I doubt I’ll be able to complete the catalyst in time.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, January 21, 2021, 23:32 (1200 days ago) @ Oholiab

You have until May 9th, so you’ve got plenty of time to actually finish the catalyst, so long as you can get the mission finished.

No guarantees I’ll get it done, but if I do I’ll send you the code.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, January 23, 2021, 01:13 (1199 days ago) @ Oholiab

You can have my code. What’s the best way for me to send it to you?

Thanks!

by Oholiab @, Thursday, January 28, 2021, 21:18 (1193 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Sorry for the delay. Been a crazy week of work and life.

Um... email me? My email should show up in my profile. Thank you!

Question for Claude

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, January 29, 2021, 07:04 (1192 days ago) @ Oholiab

I’m trying to send a message using the email button on Oholiab’s profile, but I keep getting an “invalid email” error. I triple-checked my email, and it’s correct. Could this mean Oholiab’s email is invalid? Thanks!

Question for Claude

by Claude Errera @, Friday, January 29, 2021, 08:30 (1192 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I’m trying to send a message using the email button on Oholiab’s profile, but I keep getting an “invalid email” error. I triple-checked my email, and it’s correct. Could this mean Oholiab’s email is invalid? Thanks!

What it means (and I'm not sure I understand why) is that the email validation function built into this forum choked on Oholiab's (very mundane) email address.

I changed the function to be a little less picky. My test seemed to go through - go ahead and give it another try.

Question for Claude

by Oholiab @, Friday, January 29, 2021, 08:46 (1192 days ago) @ Claude Errera

What it means (and I'm not sure I understand why) is that the email validation function built into this forum choked on Oholiab's (very mundane) email address.

I changed the function to be a little less picky. My test seemed to go through - go ahead and give it another try.

Email from Claude received!

That did the trick. Thank you!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, January 29, 2021, 11:21 (1192 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Oholiab, I just sent you the code. Let me know if it went through :)

You still need this code?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 16:31 (1195 days ago) @ Oholiab

- No text -

Harbinger

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Friday, January 22, 2021, 12:02 (1199 days ago) @ CougRon
edited by ManKitten, Friday, January 22, 2021, 12:18

I spent 15 minutes in the maze then gave up.
Came back today and figured out what I did wrong in the maze.

I'm now at the jumping part...and yeah...no idea what I'm supposed to do.

[Edit] Update: After 30 minutes, I've given up. Maybe tomorrow I'll come back and immediately figure it out like I did the maze.

Harbinger

by Claude Errera @, Friday, January 22, 2021, 15:11 (1199 days ago) @ ManKitten

I spent 15 minutes in the maze then gave up.
Came back today and figured out what I did wrong in the maze.

I'm now at the jumping part...and yeah...no idea what I'm supposed to do.

[Edit] Update: After 30 minutes, I've given up. Maybe tomorrow I'll come back and immediately figure it out like I did the maze.

If you don't, let me know, I'll walk you through it.

Harbinger

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Sunday, January 24, 2021, 16:16 (1197 days ago) @ Claude Errera

There are elements that are very un-Bungie-like. A fan of Bungie games would not necessarily expect what they can do.

Harbinger

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, January 25, 2021, 07:35 (1196 days ago) @ CougRon

There are elements that are very un-Bungie-like. A fan of Bungie games would not necessarily expect what they can do.

I ended up looking it up on YouTube. And yeah, you are correct. Before I looked it up, I made it pretty far but kept getting mad because of all the invisible barriers. "Are we supposed to go here or not!?" I kept grumping. Instead of feeling like I was supposed to be going here, it felt more like I snagged a ghost on Delta Halo to get out of the map.

So much this!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, January 25, 2021, 08:45 (1196 days ago) @ ManKitten

The only thing that tipped me off was that a death zone to one side was much lower than the other.

Harbinger

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, January 25, 2021, 09:40 (1196 days ago) @ ManKitten

First people give them shit for "See that thing over there in the background? You can go over to it" and now they get shit for making it happen…

Seriously, though it's both annoying and admirable that they have you doing something you don't try because it feels like you can't do that in a video game. I just wish the conditions for doing it were not so narrow so that when you try and fail it didn't;t seem like confirmation that it was the wrong thing to try.

Harbinger

by cheapLEY @, Monday, January 25, 2021, 10:02 (1196 days ago) @ Vortech
edited by cheapLEY, Monday, January 25, 2021, 10:10

It feels like they’re already good at that, though. Raids exist. While it’s not always the clearest thing ever in terms of progression, the platforming sections have never felt like they’re unclear. Yeah, they can be tricky to find the way forward, but they’re designed well enough that I’ve never hit an invisible wall or death barrier and felt confused.

Whisper and Zero Hour also nailed that adjective of it. So did Pit of Heresy and Shattered Throne.

I haven’t played Harbinger yet, but based on this thread, it sounds like a new problem in this mission when it’s something they’ve solved multiple times before.

Edit: I just watched a video, and now I guess I don’t even know what the issue is. Granted, I watched a video instead of playing it blind, but I didn’t see anything that looked weird or confusing, not any more so than any of the other platforming sections in anything else they’ve done.

Honestly it doesn’t even seem as bad as figuring out the Gorgon maze must have been.

Harbinger

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, January 25, 2021, 10:49 (1196 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Literally nothing else works. The only tiny smidge of progress is when you find the correct path. Everything else is invisible and 'arbritary' death barriers.

Harbinger

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, January 25, 2021, 11:09 (1196 days ago) @ ZackDark

Literally nothing else works. The only tiny smidge of progress is when you find the correct path. Everything else is invisible and 'arbritary' death barriers.

That's what kept confusing me as to whether I was even in the ballpark. I would end up in an area and the invisible barriers were just...weird. Places where I couldn't even jump (as in, I hit the jump button and immediately hit a barrier) Or was walking 3 feet above the ground as though I were hovering. So, I'm in a place and see another place that I could EASILY jump to but a barrier knocks me out.

I guess the "issue" is that it all seemed inconsistent with other level progression tools they have used in the past. Nothing wrong with this, it's just unexpected. My son was with me and we were trying different approaches and kept saying "Usually they will do this..." well...this one was unusual I guess.

Harbinger

by Claude Errera @, Monday, January 25, 2021, 12:32 (1196 days ago) @ ManKitten

That's what kept confusing me as to whether I was even in the ballpark. I would end up in an area and the invisible barriers were just...weird. Places where I couldn't even jump (as in, I hit the jump button and immediately hit a barrier) Or was walking 3 feet above the ground as though I were hovering. So, I'm in a place and see another place that I could EASILY jump to but a barrier knocks me out.

I'd love more details on where you were having trouble - I can't envision what you're talking about here.

The early part, at the reservoir? The part where you're fighting the Emissaries? The first chest fight? The jumping puzzle after the first chest fight? The final fight?

Harbinger *SP*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, January 25, 2021, 12:56 (1196 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Place spoiler:
For me right as you first go out in the open again, with the single Taken Hobglobin and the dam in the background.

Solution spoiler:
Except for that one branch, every tree is immaterial (our Guardians clip through) and the place is littered with both common invisible and death barriers. Took me well over 10 minutes to figure out that one branch, then it was a breeze.

Harbinger *SP*

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, January 25, 2021, 13:45 (1196 days ago) @ ZackDark

Place spoiler:
For me right as you first go out in the open again, with the single Taken Hobglobin and the dam in the background.

Solution spoiler:
Except for that one branch, every tree is immaterial (our Guardians clip through) and the place is littered with both common invisible and death barriers. Took me well over 10 minutes to figure out that one branch, then it was a breeze.

Where I ended up:
I watched a video where they made it to the bottom of the dam. I turned the video off after that and tried to continue blind. I made it to the very top of the dam at the spillway and kept trying to get onto the top catwalk. Those areas up there are riddled with weird barriers. Once I made it up there, I kind of stranded myself. Since I couldn't jump, I wasn't able to get back down to the bottom because it would cause me to slide down the dam and unable to jump which would lead to my splatter. And it kept spawning me at the spillway.

The areas under the "diving board" tree can be traversed without dying. I had walked nearly to the waters edge before dying. The whole cliff face between the tree and the dam are variably traversable.

Spoilers - don't even open if you don't want 'em

by Claude Errera @, Monday, January 25, 2021, 14:37 (1196 days ago) @ ManKitten

Definitely getting stuck at the top is annoying; you shouldn't be able to get up to someplace that you can't get down from.

However, they DID give you a FEW hints, if you were totally lost and didn't want to look up answers; there were hawks circling each next place you needed to get to.

Standing on the place where the sniper was:

Standing on the ledge of the dam, looking up:

(There were also hawks circling around the platform with the sniper, in case you didn't figure out you were supposed to jump there when you came out in the first place. I forgot to film those.)

Yeah, it's subtle... but it's there. :)

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, January 25, 2021, 16:09 (1196 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Follow your nose; it always knows.

(Also the trailer for the mission shows a fire team running along the outside of the dam, so there's that too.)

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, January 25, 2021, 16:21 (1196 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I never noticed the hawks in that section in any run. In the next section at the end it says follow the hawks. It took a few runs before I saw one near the exit.

Also a FYI: If you die at the end and respawn back at beginning of the last jumping area, and your teammates pop the chest, you get only 90 seconds to get back to the chest. If you miss a jump you are screwed. And the hawkmoon does not go to the postmaster.

Ouch!

by marmot 1333 @, Monday, January 25, 2021, 16:24 (1196 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

by Claude Errera @, Monday, January 25, 2021, 16:24 (1196 days ago) @ bluerunner

I never noticed the hawks in that section in any run. In the next section at the end it says follow the hawks. It took a few runs before I saw one near the exit.

Also a FYI: If you die at the end and respawn back at beginning of the last jumping area, and your teammates pop the chest, you get only 90 seconds to get back to the chest. If you miss a jump you are screwed. And the hawkmoon does not go to the postmaster.

TELL YOUR TEAMMATES NOT TO OPEN THE DAMN CHEST, THEN!

This problem exists in the Prophecy dungeon, as well; the two secret chests have 30-second timers. If you're not all there when it opens, you're probably not all getting what's inside.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, January 25, 2021, 18:52 (1196 days ago) @ Claude Errera

TELL YOUR TEAMMATES NOT TO OPEN THE DAMN CHEST, THEN!

This problem exists in the Prophecy dungeon, as well; the two secret chests have 30-second timers. If you're not all there when it opens, you're probably not all getting what's inside.

For the record: We waited (just as Blue & Blaze waited for me after my game soft crashed). Ultimately Blue said go for it. Fortunately, Blue had already received what he was after, as this occurred during the second scheduled run of the evening.

It should also be noted that, I think, the reason Blue went all the way back to the starting spawn of the 2nd half is because of what happened to me.

Not sure what happened here. Had to soft reboot.

When I rejoined, I was dropped at the start of the 2nd half. That's why, I think, Blue was pushed back to the original spawn as well when he manually respawned (though please correct me if this is incorrect, of course). I'm still not sure exactly what happened.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 10:07 (1195 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Yeah,I hit respawn. I also didnt want you guys to have to wait for me to stumble back through that part.

by marmot 1333 @, Monday, January 25, 2021, 16:27 (1196 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That's really interesting. I tried it for the first time this morning and I *swear* that I saw a hawk underneath the platform that you spawn on, but far away from the tree-jump tree. Maybe I was wrong, but it actually led me in the wrong direction--there is another platform underneath where you spawn, and if you follow it around it goes up stairs, into a building, and back into trostland where there is an impassible barrier.

To me, this section was not fun. I killed the sniper, jumped to where he was, and everywhere I tried to jump was a soft block zone that bounced me out to my death.

I gave up and watched a video that showed how to get to & through the dam doorway.

Just adding my two cents. I haven't completed the mission but I hope to. Friend and I killed all three of the first guys but then had to bail.

Unspoiled on the rest but I know that our progress was only 9 minutes into a 18 minutes walkthrough video :)

Harbinger *SP*

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, January 25, 2021, 14:42 (1196 days ago) @ ManKitten

Place spoiler:

Solution spoiler:

Where I ended up:
I watched a video where they made it to the bottom of the dam. I turned the video off after that and tried to continue blind. I made it to the very top of the dam at the spillway and kept trying to get onto the top catwalk. Those areas up there are riddled with weird barriers. Once I made it up there, I kind of stranded myself. Since I couldn't jump, I wasn't able to get back down to the bottom because it would cause me to slide down the dam and unable to jump which would lead to my splatter. And it kept spawning me at the spillway.

The areas under the "diving board" tree can be traversed without dying. I had walked nearly to the waters edge before dying. The whole cliff face between the tree and the dam are variably traversable.

So without spoiling anything, I’ll just say that when I got to that section and didn’t immediately see the path forward, I looked up a video (I personally get no enjoyment out of finding the path myself... it just isn’t what I play this game for). I probably watched about 5-10 seconds past the point where you stopped watching, and that was all I needed. That outer Dam wall is a bit of an anomaly within the mission... there really isn’t another section like it. Traversal and exploration are certainly a large part of the mission, but you don’t really run into confusing soft boundaries or kill zones the way you do outside the dam.

Besides that, once you know the way past the point you’re stuck at, you’re through it in a flash. It’s not much of an exaggeration to say that the mission doesn’t really even start until you’re a bit further than you are right now, so I think it’s fair to say that dam section really isn’t representative of the mission as a whole.

Harbinger *SP*

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, January 25, 2021, 16:40 (1196 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Besides that, once you know the way past the point you’re stuck at, you’re through it in a flash. It’s not much of an exaggeration to say that the mission doesn’t really even start until you’re a bit further than you are right now, so I think it’s fair to say that dam section really isn’t representative of the mission as a whole.

I eventually made it inside the dam and was obliterated but the first group of enemies. Running solo at 1260, I stand no chance. Maybe someone with an INSANE drive to do so, but not me.

Harbinger *SP*

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, January 25, 2021, 17:49 (1196 days ago) @ ManKitten

I eventually made it inside the dam and was obliterated but the first group of enemies. Running solo at 1260, I stand no chance. Maybe someone with an INSANE drive to do so, but not me.

If you ever want a wingman to run it with you, just let me know! I’d be happy to.

Harbinger *SP*

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 08:09 (1195 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Agreed. I actually like the mission, overall. I've done it blind as a duo and twice more with a full team mixing blind and not. The part we keep talking about it the only part that I think punishes exploration the rest of the mission is set up to reward it. The ending can get monotonous if it gets out of hand for your team, though.

Harbinger *SP*

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, January 25, 2021, 18:58 (1196 days ago) @ ManKitten

[image]

...also, for the record, as I recall the light level I did it at was 1275. I don't even want to imagine giving it a shot solo at 1260.

Farming in Harbinger

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 18:29 (1195 days ago) @ CougRon

Apparently the "once a week" setting has been turned off and now you can farm for Hawkmoon rolls. So if anyone here needs someone to run with in Harbinger, this post is your general heads-up I'll probably be up for it (time permitting).

That is all.

Farming in Harbinger

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 08:32 (1194 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I'd like to take another run or two maybe some time this weekend.

Farming in Harbinger

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 09:55 (1194 days ago) @ bluerunner

I'd like to take another run or two maybe some time this weekend.

I’ll be farming every chance I get as well... Feel free to shoot me an invite if we’re online at the same time and you want to team up :)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread