You're forgetting

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 07, 2013, 18:53 (3997 days ago) @ Leviathan

So as a creator, I wouldn't want to tell those people with different solutions they're wrong - I'd just be proud I was able to invoke anything that could impact or help their own equations.

As the receiver, I wouldn't want to tell people who got the solution differently they're wrong or have bad tastes. No, I could instead share with them and see how different inputs create different outcomes and gain wider views of the original equation.

And if I got a negative number from the author's creations? Maybe I shouldn't say the author is an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about. Maybe it wasn't even meant for me. Maybe I'm just not in the position to understand it at this point. Maybe I never will. The world outside the cave is a wide one.

I've thought about this, and I think ultimately that a misinterpretation of a work of art is either the failure of the person viewing who himself lacks the life experience (or intelligence) to correctly interpret it, or it is a failure of the artist who either lacks the life experience himself (and is drawing from the 'matrix' instead of his own experience), or lacks the life experience to know how other people experience things.

In a sense you are right - no two people have the same experience, but I'm not sure that's applicable to what I'm saying. Someone once said (I forget who), that the true genius is not the one who proves everyone wrong but himself, but the person who proves everybody right.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread