Get your glass in gear (Recruitment)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, March 05, 2015, 23:29 (3390 days ago)
edited by General Vagueness, Thursday, March 05, 2015, 23:38

Not sure what to do with the relic, and when? Can't figure out why you keep dying in the Templar fight? Lost among the Gorgons? Can't remember which side is Mars and which is Venus? Me neither! Let's get some practice in, together. Experienced raiders are welcome as long as they don't mind the inexperienced people. This is not a "teach me to raid" event because A) I don't have the experience to do that and I don't want to speak for anyone else and B) that just doesn't sound as fun refining approaches more organically. Let's take chances, make mistakes, and get messy, with no pressure.
When? Saturday at 8:00 PM EST
Fireteam builder link for convenient RSVPs

Get your glass in gear

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, March 06, 2015, 00:21 (3390 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Can't remember which side is Mars and which is Venus? Me neither!

Resist the urge to snark... Resist the urge to snark...

Seriously, though, that is the one thing people say in Destiny that really annoys me.

Get your glass in gear

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Friday, March 06, 2015, 00:40 (3390 days ago) @ ZackDark

Seriously, though, that is the one thing people say in Destiny that really annoys me.

I concur. Though I recognize that this convention is employed to facilitate ease of communication, it drives me up a wall when I actually hear it said aloud.

Get your glass in gear

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 06, 2015, 09:11 (3389 days ago) @ ZackDark

Can't remember which side is Mars and which is Venus? Me neither!

Resist the urge to snark... Resist the urge to snark...

Same... You'd think that after seven months, people would be smart enough to realize that they're both Venus, but alas, never underestimate the stupidity of people...

And it sucks that you sound like a douche no matter how nicely you try to correct them... Then again, there are people who complain about "Left" and "Right", so whatevs...

Get your glass in gear

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, March 06, 2015, 15:01 (3389 days ago) @ Korny

I, for one, feel a lot lighter when people use jungle/desert.

Get your glass in gear

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, March 06, 2015, 15:07 (3389 days ago) @ ZackDark

I like to use precursor and descendant. Y'know...just to be a dick.

Get your glass in gear

by Up North 65 @, Friday, March 06, 2015, 16:01 (3389 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Gah just open them both up. Then there is no arguing, only a 100% chance of being right.

Get your glass in gear

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, March 06, 2015, 16:07 (3389 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I like to use hydrophilic and hydrophobic.

Get your glass in gear

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 06, 2015, 16:10 (3389 days ago) @ bluerunner

I like to use hydrophilic and hydrophobic.

Get your glass in gear

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 06, 2015, 16:08 (3389 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Fun fact. The Precursors and Descendants outside of the gates are labeled incorrectly (the mossy, old-looking ones are labeled Descendants, and the shiny new ones are labeled Precursors), but the ones inside aren't. This is also true for the Undying Mind strike, though you also fight a "new" type of enemy (can't recall the name), so they should have noticed the mistake... if it is indeed a mistake, because their Grimoire cards also show them inverted...

I like to think the Grimoire is correct

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, March 06, 2015, 16:41 (3389 days ago) @ Korny

The Precursors look shiny and new because, in their time, they have just been built. They are, truly, a few of the first Vex ever. The Descendants are mossy and old because, in their time, it has been quite a while since a Vex was last built.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, March 06, 2015, 16:46 (3389 days ago) @ ZackDark

The Precursors look shiny and new because, in their time, they have just been built. They are, truly, a few of the first Vex ever. The Descendants are mossy and old because, in their time, it has been quite a while since a Vex was last built.

Then why are the designs all different? Doesn't that indicate they are literally different generations?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, March 06, 2015, 20:27 (3389 days ago) @ CyberKN

Oh, I'm not saying they were all built at the same time. They are different designs because the Vex changed their models with time.

First batch was all shiny and gallant, because they had resources and a poetic sense of sorts. Last batch was streamlined to be functional and had no real shine because they were already all combat-focused.

It's more about their Design...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 06, 2015, 16:47 (3389 days ago) @ ZackDark

The "Precursors" look slick, and with fancy light-weight designs. The "Descendants" look blocky, and have huge bulky heads that remind me of old car parts. You'd think that being in the present, the Precursors would of course look worn down and faded with time, while the Descendants are from the future, and so have a slicker design... But who knows?

Again, inside the Gates, the labeling is flipped, so poop.

Image reference

by marmot 1333 @, Friday, March 06, 2015, 16:55 (3389 days ago) @ Korny

[image]

Did Bungie correct this?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 06, 2015, 17:29 (3389 days ago) @ marmot 1333

[image]

The Grimoire on Bnet, as I said, shows this...

[image][image]

Then again, according to the "Precursor" card:

"It would be easy to assume these Vex are the ancestors of those we face today - but with the Vex it is never so simple."

I can't remember, which is Past and which is Future?

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, March 06, 2015, 17:11 (3389 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, March 06, 2015, 17:16 (3389 days ago) @ someotherguy

Th past is the dusty, brown one.

The Future is the lush jungle, which presumably formed after Traveller's terraformation of venus.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 06, 2015, 17:44 (3389 days ago) @ CyberKN

The Future is the lush jungle, which presumably formed after Traveller's terraformation of venus.

Now see, that's what I used to think, but then I was corrected. So the precursors are on the brown one and the descendants are on the green one? I thought it was the reverse.

You're right. Now I'm just confused.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, March 06, 2015, 17:58 (3389 days ago) @ Kermit

"Left" and "Right" it is!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 06, 2015, 18:15 (3389 days ago) @ CyberKN

I finally started using left and right. In a pinch I say brown or green.

I don't know who's right anymore regarding past and future. Given the images I've seen in this thread, maybe Bungie is confused, too.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Friday, March 06, 2015, 19:11 (3389 days ago) @ Kermit

I don't know who's right anymore regarding past and future. Given the images I've seen in this thread, maybe Bungie is confused, too.

Heh, this conversation is making me think of that cyclic universe discussion. One cycle's future is another cycle's past, who knows when anyone is...

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, March 06, 2015, 23:38 (3389 days ago) @ CyberKN

Which brings it back around to the original problem-- I can never remember which area goes with which side! Half the time I'm half blind when I stumble out of the gate, and every time I follow the relic-holder to the center or wherever they're going to get cleansed and protected by the relic.
As for the designs, I think the white and gold Vex are the newer design because they're all shiny. It's simple reasoning but the best designs only need simple reasoning. Knowing Bungie though, I could almost think they switched them around (multiple times) on purpose to create an out-of-game confusion that reinforces how transcendent and inscrutable the Vex are.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Saturday, March 07, 2015, 00:45 (3389 days ago) @ General Vagueness

As for the designs, I think the white and gold Vex are the newer design because they're all shiny. It's simple reasoning but the best designs only need simple reasoning. Knowing Bungie though, I could almost think they switched them around (multiple times) on purpose to create an out-of-game confusion that reinforces how transcendent and inscrutable the Vex are.

The 'older' ones remind me of bronze-age ... stuff, maybe even steampunk, where as the silver/white and gold gives me a more sci-fi feel.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 06, 2015, 18:06 (3389 days ago) @ CyberKN

Not necessarily. Who's to say it wasn't lush and green billions of years in the past? (Didn't Ghost say something to that effect about the Vault entrance?)

Seems more likely for a moist jungle to become a desert than for a desert to become a moist Jungle in a realm presumably outside of the Traveler's reach...

The portals all lead to the very same room at different points in time. Does anything change within to imply the passage of time? One stone out of place could be enough to tell...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 06, 2015, 18:13 (3389 days ago) @ Korny

Seems more likely for a moist jungle to become a desert than for a desert to become a moist Jungle in a realm presumably outside of the Traveler's reach...

Nah, either can happen and has happened on earth.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 06, 2015, 20:21 (3389 days ago) @ Kermit

Nah, either can happen and has happened on earth.

Any examples of reverse desertification? And Tundras don't count, I'm talking sand...

Sand sand or just dry earth?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, March 06, 2015, 20:32 (3389 days ago) @ Korny

Sand sand I can't recall off the top of my head, but if dry earth counts, the Amazon Forest itself used to be a dry savanna before what it currently is, for instance.

Sand sand or just dry earth?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 06, 2015, 21:07 (3389 days ago) @ ZackDark

Sand sand I can't recall off the top of my head, but if dry earth counts, the Amazon Forest itself used to be a dry savanna before what it currently is, for instance.

Doesn't count. The surface (or rather, the elevated platform) of the Vault is sand sand, and on top of that, it's isolated, and far from any fertile land or moisture (the bubbling springs and streams aside.heck, the entire present-day descent into the Vault has almost no vegetation whatsoever.

Like I said, a Tundra (or on the other end of the climate spectrum, a Savanna) doesn't count, since it's not arid soil. It can become fertile if vegetation creeps in from an outside source. Either way, between the lack of light sources and giant pits, any vegetation somehow reaching the Gatekeeper area is extremely unlikely and on top of that, replacing the sandy, arid platform with enough moisture and soil to grow into a jungle environment? Impossible, I say...

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Saturday, March 07, 2015, 19:55 (3388 days ago) @ Korny

Do paleodeserts count? They're basically sand dunes that have been stabilized by vegetation. A portion of Nebraska (my sympathies to anybody who lives there) is composed of these, known as "sandhills." After all, one would be hard-pressed to think of this as a sand dune, but...

I'll avoid the technicalities of Earth (Terra, Bob, whatever you want to call it) after its impact with a Mars-sized body, because that's just splitting hairs.

Edit: I've tried editing it twice now, and the previews won't let it work. Wikipedia and the forums hate me.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, March 08, 2015, 14:28 (3387 days ago) @ Dagoonite

Do paleodeserts count? They're basically sand dunes that have been stabilized by vegetation. A portion of Nebraska (my sympathies to anybody who lives there) is composed of these, known as "sandhills." After all, one would be hard-pressed to think of this as a sand dune, but...

I'll avoid the technicalities of Earth (Terra, Bob, whatever you want to call it) after its impact with a Mars-sized body, because that's just splitting hairs.

Edit: I've tried editing it twice now, and the previews won't let it work. Wikipedia and the forums hate me.

Fix'd. the issue was with the link itself, not your HL. Or we could just have the image:

[image]

Found the land of the Windows desktop... Anyway, I suppose it can count, yes, assuming that region was purely arid sand, and not mixed with soils of any sort. But again, the area within the Vault is completely isolated by extreme degrees. If only we could get that back door open during a trip to the past/future, maybe we'd get a better idea of how vegetation could have somehow found its way into the Vault...

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Sunday, March 08, 2015, 14:47 (3387 days ago) @ Korny

For the record, I agree with you, but I'm playing Devil's Advocate real quick.

Maybe the Vex themselves brought it? A culture that grows its bismuth-like computers and were (are?) the caretakers of the Black Garden, they seem to have a high interest in horticulture. (I also find it interesting that Mercury and Venus were both made into garden worlds before the conversion process began. If Mars was a garden world before the Darkness came, it would fully qualify in that trend, too.)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, March 08, 2015, 17:58 (3387 days ago) @ Dagoonite

Maybe the Vex themselves brought it?

I was going to say that, too. What evidence do we have that the Vex are NOT gardeners? Everyone needs a hobby.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, March 07, 2015, 01:23 (3389 days ago) @ CyberKN

That's backwards. The brown one is the future, hence the 'Descendant' Vex. The green one is the past, hence the 'Precursor' Vex.

Except when the game itself switches it up

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, March 07, 2015, 05:24 (3388 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Get your glass in gear

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, March 07, 2015, 14:38 (3388 days ago) @ General Vagueness

probably should've mentioned also, this is on the 360

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread