The Numbers

by kapowaz, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 14:14 (4086 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Lastly, if you look at the numbers, console revenue has been declining steadily, while PC revenue has been rising, actually eclipsing and passing console revenue. So, the PC is where the money's at, and the console is on it's way out. Why stay excusively on this sinking ship?

We're at the end of a console generation AND in the middle of a global economic downturn; I wouldn't necessarily interpret this as meaning they're staying with a ‘sinking ship’.

As for the other points you've raised; I've wondered about that myself too, but it seems that at least Microsoft is going down an always-online route for their new hardware platform. If that turns out to be true then maybe people will just have to get used to that requirement? Certainly the trend is for fewer and fewer people to not be connected, so eventually you have to extrapolate a point where not being online is as unlikely as not having running water or electricity. We're a way off that right now, but when you're building a game universe with a 10 year plan, you tend to look a bit further ahead than last year's numbers.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread