Jason Jones has a new studio
by Claude Errera
, Thursday, October 01, 2026, 09:51 (3 hours, 49 minutes ago) @ Avateur
The Los Angeles-based studio is a partnership with Margaret Stohl, a Bungie veteran who has written 14 books as well as numerous games and Marvel Comics in her career. She serves as Stone Kite's CEO. “I've spent my career creating books, games, comics, film and television, and I've seen how often the medium that tells the first story ends up defining everything that comes after it,” she said. “Stone Kite is about breaking down those old media silos. Instead of starting in one medium and adapting outward, we bring the best global creators from different disciplines into the room from day one to shape the world together. We change the conversation. We never say that’s how it’s traditionally done. We build communities, and we listen to them. That’s how we’re creating worlds that people can explore for decades, in whatever ways they want.”
I'm getting flashbacks. I went to an event in the VERY early days of 343 Studios (as in, before Halo 4 was released) where Bonnie and Frank were talking about how transmedia storytelling was the future of entertainment.
And now here it is, 15 years later, and Jason Jones has started a new studio, and his CEO is saying exactly the same thing.
Jason Jones has a new studio
by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Thursday, October 01, 2026, 10:19 (3 hours, 21 minutes ago) @ Claude Errera
The Los Angeles-based studio is a partnership with Margaret Stohl, a Bungie veteran who has written 14 books as well as numerous games and Marvel Comics in her career. She serves as Stone Kite's CEO. “I've spent my career creating books, games, comics, film and television, and I've seen how often the medium that tells the first story ends up defining everything that comes after it,” she said. “Stone Kite is about breaking down those old media silos. Instead of starting in one medium and adapting outward, we bring the best global creators from different disciplines into the room from day one to shape the world together. We change the conversation. We never say that’s how it’s traditionally done. We build communities, and we listen to them. That’s how we’re creating worlds that people can explore for decades, in whatever ways they want.”
I'll need to see how this plays out I guess, but I'm not able to identify anything disruptive or novel in the initial offering: it's a short comic series which, if successful, may be adapted in different media? Not only does that sound like "starting in one medium and adapting outward" don't we already have an example of their mission statement with Halo which launched with a game and a book simultaneously, with the story and IP being developed in both formats for years before branching off to webisodes, comic books, and ARGs? I'm definitely missing something.
Jason Jones has a new studio
by Cody Miller
, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 01, 2026, 10:24 (3 hours, 16 minutes ago) @ Schooly D
edited by Cody Miller, Thursday, October 01, 2026, 10:28
I'll need to see how this plays out I guess, but I'm not able to identify anything disruptive or novel in the initial offering: it's a short comic series which, if successful, may be adapted in different media? Not only does that sound like "starting in one medium and adapting outward"
In theory I understand. Different media have different strengths, so if you as an artist have an idea, you've often got to ask "How do I best express this idea?".
It could be a movie, a book, a song, whatever. But a given idea will always have a medium best suited for it. Being limited to one (video game) means you are limited in your ideas.
Call me when you get to TV or movies Jason!
Don't we already have an example of their mission statement with Halo which launched with a game and a book simultaneously, with the story and IP being developed in both formats for years before branching off to webisodes, comic books, and ARGs? I'm definitely missing something.
Yeah. You forgot the Halo TV show!
Jason Jones has a new studio
by Kermit
, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, October 01, 2026, 11:20 (2 hours, 20 minutes ago) @ Claude Errera
The Los Angeles-based studio is a partnership with Margaret Stohl, a Bungie veteran who has written 14 books as well as numerous games and Marvel Comics in her career. She serves as Stone Kite's CEO. “I've spent my career creating books, games, comics, film and television, and I've seen how often the medium that tells the first story ends up defining everything that comes after it,” she said. “Stone Kite is about breaking down those old media silos. Instead of starting in one medium and adapting outward, we bring the best global creators from different disciplines into the room from day one to shape the world together. We change the conversation. We never say that’s how it’s traditionally done. We build communities, and we listen to them. That’s how we’re creating worlds that people can explore for decades, in whatever ways they want.”
I'm getting flashbacks. I went to an event in the VERY early days of 343 Studios (as in, before Halo 4 was released) where Bonnie and Frank were talking about how transmedia storytelling was the future of entertainment.And now here it is, 15 years later, and Jason Jones has started a new studio, and his CEO is saying exactly the same thing.
Some of the books published during their era were good, but I didn't like their approach to different media on the same platform. Their terminals and even their cutscenes would often break immersion for me.
Glad that Jason isn't sitting on his duff. I'll pay attention. Might even pay money.
Jason Jones has a new studio
by ManKitten
, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, October 01, 2026, 11:26 (2 hours, 14 minutes ago) @ Avateur
I can't get past the lead robit having a lit cigar and sunglasses on :P
It's pretty intriguing though. Like an AI apocalypse Bad Batch or something. They definitely give me rag tag hero vibes.