Baldur's Gate 3 - Living up to the Hype (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, July 13, 2024, 10:23 (56 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, July 13, 2024, 10:27

It's 11 months late, but I finished Baldur's Gate 3. Now I understand why so many in the AAA space were nervous about this game. Why they were saying "Don't expect this from us". And yes, the amount of things you can do, the flexibility with which you can do them, and pure scope of decision making is unmatched in any game prior, or perhaps for some time in the future. But that's not really the part that I'm most impressed about. The part that AAA devs actually can replicate if they want, as long as they have the creativity.

It's the quest design.

I was completely floored how despite the number of quests, absolutely none of them felt superfluous, tedious, or pace killing. Every single thing I did felt like a completely natural extension of our main adventure, and most tied into either the main quest, other quests, or character arcs.

The biggest thing is of course how the game does not consider completing quests as contributing to a '100%' completion. There is no 100%. There is no indication quests are available or how many there are in total. The game doesn't give you a running total. Many are mutually exclusive. Not doing a quest can result in a narrative consequence you may prefer. In short, the game does not care which quests you do, or how many you do. There is no ultimate reward for finishing them all. You can't finish them all. The same quest can have a different ending or consequence depending on your choice, which can effect other quests. Going through a second time, there are a ton of new ones I found, either because I just missed them or because I made different choices leading to them being available. And yet, the game never indicated I had 'missed' anything. There are no quest markers telling you someone can give you a quest. Most aren't even given to you at all; you just discover something in the world. Many involve no combat and rely on the role playing systems instead. There's no 'collect x number of these identical objects spread throughout the world'. Every one feels unique. They exist for you to find and complete if you want, not as a checklist.

Compare this to FF7 Rebirth, or really any other game for that matter. The number of available sidequests in a region are listed, and green indicators tell you where to go to get them. They can kill the pace and are tied to trophies, and rewards for completing them all. There is repetition of finding identical objects, or activating identical machines or landmarks. They are a checklist rather than enrichment. Many are 'fun', but they feel like their own separate thing rather than a natural part of the world.

It is just such a stark contrast. This is how to design a world and things in it to do. You fill it with things and unleash the player on it. The uninspired 'gamey' nature of quests in the rest of the AAA industry feels so sterile and boring now.

If the industry takes one thing away, they should learn to stop making stupid sidequests. The blueprint is right in front of them.

Review is missing key point...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, July 14, 2024, 05:03 (55 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Who'd you play as? Astarion, Gale, Lae'zel, Karlach, Shadowheart, Wyll, The Dark Urge, or a Custom Character (Race, Starting class, & Background).

Review is missing key point...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, July 14, 2024, 08:46 (55 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, July 14, 2024, 08:52

Who'd you play as? Astarion, Gale, Lae'zel, Karlach, Shadowheart, Wyll, The Dark Urge, or a Custom Character (Race, Starting class, & Background).

Custom character. School of Abjuration Wizard, half elf. Partied with Karlach, Shadowheart, and Lae'zel. Made a deal with Raphael for the hammer, then snuck into the house of hope and broke the contract. Freed Orpheus and had Gale become an illithid because he sucks. Destroyed the brain and the parasites, and ran off with Shadowheart and Halsin.

I've got to try it again

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, July 14, 2024, 11:32 (55 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I got to some enchanted grove and chased some people who were chasing after the goblins who took their friend and they just... disappeared.

Then I talked to some people about how the enchanted grove was about to disappear.

And I just sat there a moment thinking about everyone in my party is yelling at each other about this parasite in their brain and wondering why we'd get side tracked by any of the nonsense these druids were talking about and just quit the game.

Oh and I found Astarion grating IMMEDIATELY

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, July 14, 2024, 11:33 (55 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

I've got to try it again

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, July 14, 2024, 19:00 (55 days ago) @ kidtsunami

And I just sat there a moment thinking about everyone in my party is yelling at each other about this parasite in their brain and wondering why we'd get side tracked by any of the nonsense these druids were talking about

…the first time you play, it's clear that Halsin is a healer who might be able to do something about your parasite, but he's gone, so his apprentice will do. She's in the druid grove. It's a direct connection to the main plotline!

And you are actually able to ignore "all that nonsense" if you choose! Just tell everyone you don't have time, and continue looking for a way to get the tadpoles out of your head. The game lets you do this! And the story changes accordingly! How cool is that?!

Of all the games not making you do shit you don't want to do, this one is it. Make some decisions!

Baldur's Gate 3 - Living up to the Hype

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, July 16, 2024, 06:48 (53 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I've read lots of praise, but if anyone is going to call out the Emperor's lack of clothes, it's you. Good to hear that the bar has been raised.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, July 16, 2024, 08:31 (53 days ago) @ Kermit

I've read lots of praise, but if anyone is going to call out the Emperor's lack of clothes, it's you. Good to hear that the bar has been raised.

Usually when we hear 'the bar has been raised' it's in relation to some super polished, high fidelity open world game or something.

Baldur's gate 3 is full of jank. Glitches. Bugs. The graphics are far from cutting edge. And yet, that doesn't matter.

I'm starting to think many AAA devs are focusing an inordinate amount of time and money on things that don't actually matter. Things players don't ultimately care that much about. And the opportunity cost of that is why they call this game an "anomaly" and something not to expect.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, July 16, 2024, 09:03 (53 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Usually when we hear 'the bar has been raised' it's in relation to some super polished, high fidelity open world game or something.

Baldur's gate 3 is full of jank. Glitches. Bugs. The graphics are far from cutting edge. And yet, that doesn't matter.

I'm starting to think many AAA devs are focusing an inordinate amount of time and money on things that don't actually matter. Things players don't ultimately care that much about. And the opportunity cost of that is why they call this game an "anomaly" and something not to expect.

I think everything matters to some degree. Errors in published books distract me, for instance, and I deduct points. I completely agree, though, that technical perfection is just one aspect, and not the most important one. And yeah, maybe the existence of this game will affect what developers prioritize.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, July 16, 2024, 12:11 (53 days ago) @ Kermit

I think everything matters to some degree.

Yeah, but it's always about a cost benefit analysis. When something costs a lot, but helps very little, then it's the wrong decision if pursuing it makes you forgo things that help a lot.

We like to think of the best artists as striving for perfection, but that's a great way to run out of money shooting a film or making a video game.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, July 17, 2024, 08:44 (52 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think everything matters to some degree.

Yeah, but it's always about a cost benefit analysis. When something costs a lot, but helps very little, then it's the wrong decision if pursuing it makes you forgo things that help a lot.

We like to think of the best artists as striving for perfection, but that's a great way to run out of money shooting a film or making a video game.

Yep. And many times when you find out about the creative process, you find out that the element you think is perfect is accidental, or an obviously inferior idea was argued for strenuously. An accident I recently heard about was related to the T-Rex in Jurassic Park. It essentially broke, and the head came down through the sunroof with much more force than was intended. The kids' terror was real.

I completely agree

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, July 22, 2024, 05:03 (47 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And that is why I uninstalled it before finishing Act I. Once I fully realized the depth of each decision I make, it completely paralyzed me. I'm glad I bought this game and hope more like it come, but it's way too much for my current work-life balance.

I completely agree

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, July 24, 2024, 20:23 (45 days ago) @ ZackDark

And that is why I uninstalled it before finishing Act I. Once I fully realized the depth of each decision I make, it completely paralyzed me.

Maybe I can reassure you.

There's going to be a story path forward regardless of what you do (there's only like, 2 things that will result in an immediate game over).

Also don't worry about rewards. Gear is cool and can help you do stuff, but it's not necessary and you can use your skills and smarts to win. It's not like Destiny where loot matters.

So you aren't really going to miss out on 'rewards', and the narrative will take into account what you choose.

Just enjoy the experience, go with your gut, and see where it takes you.

I completely agree

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, July 25, 2024, 02:45 (45 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So you aren't really going to miss out on 'rewards', and the narrative will take into account what you choose.

The narrative is my reward. And I am missing out on a LOT of it unless I play the game dozens of times. This is what is paralizing.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, July 25, 2024, 18:55 (44 days ago) @ ZackDark

The narrative is my reward. And I am missing out on a LOT of it unless I play the game dozens of times. This is what is paralizing.

Well, then "Choose Your Own Adventure" books are not for you.

by squidnh3, Friday, July 26, 2024, 10:27 (43 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Boy did I hate those. Dead, every time!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, July 26, 2024, 16:33 (43 days ago) @ squidnh3

Boy did I hate those. Dead, every time!

Yeah. My problem was there was an obviously 'correct' set of choices, and the rest just ended horribly. Like… at least make an effort so that there's a satisfying story for whatever you choose.

They're really not

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, July 27, 2024, 07:52 (42 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I used to bookmark pages with all my fingers so I could branch out on interesting points

I completely agree

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, July 26, 2024, 08:55 (43 days ago) @ ZackDark

I'd say don't feel like you're missing out, because it's not meant to all be seen. It's all there to make what you DO choose meaningful.

You're not going to play the game 17,000 times.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread