well... (Off-Topic)

by EffortlessFury @, Friday, December 02, 2022, 11:57 (504 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Which, if you'll allow a brief segway into an addendum to my reply to Ragashingo, Kenobi and Yoda went into exile because they were literally being hunted by the newly coopted government and their army now set to kill on sight via engrained order. That exile was relatively justified. Everything TFA told us about Luke's exile smelled of much less justification. He created a problem but one that wasn't entirely out of the realm of fixing. The First Order was not the dominating force in the Galaxy and a counterforce (the government presently in charge) was already in place.

Luke's withdrawal was not a logical decision. The whole point of the film was that it was the result of a character flaw. Rewatch the scene between Luke and Yoda as the tree burns. That sums it up.

One hundred percent, yes. It was an emotional decision driven by fear and an inability to face his mistakes, and it was a character flaw. The point I was making was that, compared to Yoda and Obi-wan's exile, Luke's didn't make logical sense when we'd heard the story in TFA as to why he'd left. The story we were given didn't seem to add up, logically speaking...because it wasn't logical.

This all reinforcing my point that we were going to find a broken Luke Skywalker at the end of the search, one who we wouldn't recognize as the exact same Luke we'd left in Episode 6. Just by the premise of Luke exiling himself over the loss of his Jedi trainees, there was never going to be a fulfillment of Luke Skywalker The Hero people had built up in their minds; that wasn't Rian Johnson pulling a fast one, that's the Luke TFA set us up to find.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread