It's Rude to Suck at Warcraft (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, November 30, 2022, 21:13 (505 days ago)

Long video (a bit too long, it could definitely be more efficient in communicating the ideas), but interesting and definitely applicable to Destiny.

TL;DW

•There are different types of play. For the experience, and for the goals.
•World of Warcraft ostensibly supports both these. For instance, gear chasers, but also role players (example given was someone who played a dwarf and never put on boots, to remain barefoot).
•Playing for the goal leads to optimization.
•The best players set the strategies, and this meta becomes the norm through social pressures.
•This pushes out playing for the experience. Folks yelled at the dwarf to put on some boots to boost his stats, and one healer got kicked out over a 0.9% difference in healing.
•Mod support for WoW feeds into the optimization, as players create mods to alter the game interface, and what metrics are displayed. For instance, threat level, realtime DPS, etc. This exacerbates not only the social pressures, but the encounter designs themselves, since it's assumed everyone is using them. The mods themselves either trivialize certain mechanics (threat), or destroy the aesthetics of the game. Aesthetics are further destroyed when players turn down graphical options to give themselves an edge.
*Thus, over time social pressures push players toward the 'meta' and leave little room for experience oriented play, and undermine the game's aesthetics through the mod use. Stats are used for WoW classic, vs WoW in the past. Everyone is classic is essentially playing the meta and is hardcore.

Everything in the video SEEMS correct, however I've never played WoW so I can't say for sure. But the arguments are certainly logical, and demonstrably apply to other games with goal based or competitive multiplayer elements.

I suppose the big question is WHY such games have to be so goal oriented versus experience oriented. There's an answer I suspect, but am too lazy to examine further right now.

It's Rude to Suck at Warcraft

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, November 30, 2022, 23:09 (505 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don’t see that stuff as relevant to Destiny as it may seem.

Other than day one raiding with the Contest mode and maybe GM Nightfalls, nothing in Destiny requires optimization. Sure, it happens, and the “Need 150 clears, all Triumphs, Flawless, and Gjallarhorn” LFF memes exist for a reason, but it’s so unnecessary. Normal raids could be completed with all blue gear and no mods with terrible stat distribution.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I don’t chase anything in Destiny because it’s necessary, but because it allows for more fun. My current Titan Arc build allows me to have almost 100% uptime on both my melee and grenade abilities. That wouldn’t be possible without high stat gear with correct stat distribution. It’s not needed for anything I actually do in the game, but it sure is a lot of fucking fun! I’m an unkillable Thunder God that makes Thor look like a punk, and that’s fun.

I’ll have to make time to watch that video. I also have never played WoW, but other than streamers doing day one raids, I’ve never really seen optimization pushed in Destiny that hard.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, November 30, 2022, 23:58 (505 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I’ll have to make time to watch that video. I also have never played WoW, but other than streamers doing day one raids, I’ve never really seen optimization pushed in Destiny that hard.

Oh? So people take their time in strike playlists these days instead of just rushing through :-p

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, December 01, 2022, 07:30 (504 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah that's been super fun as someone coming back to the game after years away. Load into new strike I've never seen before. Walk or sparrow for a minute to first encounter area. See a couple enemies, barely grok the layout of the room, and then... teleported to next room to join my speedrunner teammate. And, ya know... it's not like that person should have to account for having a (semi) new player on their team. But that doesn't make it less annoying.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, December 01, 2022, 07:26 (504 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by stabbim, Thursday, December 01, 2022, 07:36

So I haven't watched the video yet, but based on your description this sounds very much like experiences I've had with Destiny in the past. Mostly with raiding but occasionally with other higher-difficulty activities.

I probably wouldn't have thought to describe what I do with Destiny as "role playing" but I guess it kinda is. Generally for any given subclass I'll have one or more character builds in DIM. These tend to revolve around a playstyle. Operating at a certain range, using certain exotics/perks/abilities, etc. And I tend to get pretty specific with the weapon types. USUALLY I try to cover all my bases re: engagement range because even if I intend to play up close there'll inevitably be something plinking away at me from a distance and I might need to account for that. So my defender Titan that mostly runs around with a sidearm with Grave Robber throwing shields and punching things for healing and reloads (because who has time to stop for that) always has a scout rifle in the energy slot for things he can't reach, just as an example. I've always done things this way and it works for me. Whatever build I'm running, I instinctively know what my options are. I've always had a sidearm and scout rifle so I know what to do. I think I almost NEED to do things this way. If I don't I find myself swapping to the wrong thing mid firefight and not being effective.

You can probably see how this hasn't always been compatible with the "OK everyone equip current meta weapon before we start Atheon" crowd. I don't want to equip Sleeper Simulant on my Titan, he doesn't use linear fusion rifles. The thing is, those people aren't WRONG. They want to play the optimized way. But I learned those groups weren't the place for me.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, December 01, 2022, 08:30 (504 days ago) @ stabbim

The problem is that end game Destiny isn’t always designed around allowing any playstyle to work.

In your instance, for that build, your heavy weapon seems irrelevant. You’re not going to punch, sidearm, or scout rifle Atheon to death. Machine Guns suck for boss DPS, rockets are okay but lead to unnecessary suicides, so Linear Fusions are the default answer.

I won’t say you’re wrong for refusing to engage with that, but I won’t say that Destiny is completely wrong for asking for a more specific answer sometimes, either. I also understand the frustration of having loadouts dictated to you, because for most instances it’s kind of irrelevant. As long as you are using something that does reasonable damage, it’ll be fine.

I would say the reasonable compromise is to run your build for the ad-clearing parts of the encounter, but just use a Linear Fusion for boss DPS because what’s it matter? It’s not like anything else in that room needs the use of your heavy weapon, and since we’re all just going to be standing in a Well for DPS, any build considerations kind of become irrelevant.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, December 01, 2022, 10:06 (504 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The problem is that end game Destiny isn’t always designed around allowing any playstyle to work.

In your instance, for that build, your heavy weapon seems irrelevant. You’re not going to punch, sidearm, or scout rifle Atheon to death. Machine Guns suck for boss DPS, rockets are okay but lead to unnecessary suicides, so Linear Fusions are the default answer.

I guess I should clarify, those weren't the SAME scenario. I'm not shooting Atheon with a scout rifle. At least not until my heavy runs out. The sidearm/scout pairing was just an example of something I'd do to make sure I have different ranges covered. And Sleeper was an example of something that was the boss killer du jour at one time. Could just as easily be D1 Gjallarhorn, Whisper, etc. Whatever the flavor of the season is.

I won’t say you’re wrong for refusing to engage with that, but I won’t say that Destiny is completely wrong for asking for a more specific answer sometimes, either. I also understand the frustration of having loadouts dictated to you, because for most instances it’s kind of irrelevant. As long as you are using something that does reasonable damage, it’ll be fine.

Right, I usually manage to put up decent numbers without chasing the meta. I learn how to do well with what I'm used to playing.

I would say the reasonable compromise is to run your build for the ad-clearing parts of the encounter, but just use a Linear Fusion for boss DPS because what’s it matter? It’s not like anything else in that room needs the use of your heavy weapon, and since we’re all just going to be standing in a Well for DPS, any build considerations kind of become irrelevant.

Sure, I'd just rather not. Being socially pressured to do stuff I don't find fun is tiring. I simply try not to put myself in groups where that's likely to happen.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, December 01, 2022, 08:38 (504 days ago) @ stabbim

One thing I didn’t mention was the proliferation of info sites that let you look things up and spell out strategies. Harder when WoW launched, but common now. Those information repositories further pressure the meta and people into conforming.

Probably true

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, December 01, 2022, 10:04 (504 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, December 01, 2022, 10:12 (504 days ago) @ stabbim

You can probably see how this hasn't always been compatible with the "OK everyone equip current meta weapon before we start Atheon" crowd. I don't want to equip Sleeper Simulant on my Titan, he doesn't use linear fusion rifles. The thing is, those people aren't WRONG. They want to play the optimized way. But I learned those groups weren't the place for me.

Heh. The Wednesday Night group is a pretty funny combination of all of this stuff. At the beginning of a season (when everyone's lower-light than the enemies), Chappy points out the meta weapons that will help us complete things - but they're not requirements, just suggestions. (Usually.)

A little ways in, you can use anything you want; we'll still succeed.

And all along the way, we have Nico (who played a bunch of WoW back in the day) asking "what should I be using here?" and HATING the answer "anything you want", and Chris not listening to any discussion about weapons and just equipping his Corrective Measure.

tl:dr; join us when we have an open slot, we'd love to raid with you, bring your sidearm and scout.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, December 01, 2022, 10:27 (504 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That sounds like a good time!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, December 03, 2022, 15:21 (502 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Heh. The Wednesday Night group is a pretty funny combination of all of this stuff. At the beginning of a season (when everyone's lower-light than the enemies), Chappy points out the meta weapons that will help us complete things - but they're not requirements, just suggestions. (Usually.)

A little ways in, you can use anything you want; we'll still succeed.

And all along the way, we have Nico (who played a bunch of WoW back in the day) asking "what should I be using here?" and HATING the answer "anything you want", and Chris not listening to any discussion about weapons and just equipping his Corrective Measure.

I'm somewhere between Chris and nico. I like optimizing because I don't like feeling like the weakest link. Yet I'll make comical mistakes, like wearing 1350 stomp-ees and dying over and over because of it. And many times, after a series of wipes, squid or Chappy will look at my setup, and voila, now we know the problem. [red-face] The difference between me and Chris might be my capacity for embarrassment. :)

I quit wow at lvl 42

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, December 01, 2022, 07:38 (504 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Long video (a bit too long, it could definitely be more efficient in communicating the ideas), but interesting and definitely applicable to Destiny.

TL;DW

•There are different types of play. For the experience, and for the goals.
•World of Warcraft ostensibly supports both these. For instance, gear chasers, but also role players (example given was someone who played a dwarf and never put on boots, to remain barefoot).
•Playing for the goal leads to optimization.
•The best players set the strategies, and this meta becomes the norm through social pressures.
•This pushes out playing for the experience. Folks yelled at the dwarf to put on some boots to boost his stats, and one healer got kicked out over a 0.9% difference in healing.
•Mod support for WoW feeds into the optimization, as players create mods to alter the game interface, and what metrics are displayed. For instance, threat level, realtime DPS, etc. This exacerbates not only the social pressures, but the encounter designs themselves, since it's assumed everyone is using them. The mods themselves either trivialize certain mechanics (threat), or destroy the aesthetics of the game. Aesthetics are further destroyed when players turn down graphical options to give themselves an edge.
*Thus, over time social pressures push players toward the 'meta' and leave little room for experience oriented play, and undermine the game's aesthetics through the mod use. Stats are used for WoW classic, vs WoW in the past. Everyone is classic is essentially playing the meta and is hardcore.

Everything in the video SEEMS correct, however I've never played WoW so I can't say for sure. But the arguments are certainly logical, and demonstrably apply to other games with goal based or competitive multiplayer elements.

I suppose the big question is WHY such games have to be so goal oriented versus experience oriented. There's an answer I suspect, but am too lazy to examine further right now.

As the game started focusing on Dungeons where I was going to have to really up my game to keep up with my friends putting more hours in than I was, I just said "no".

I'm not sure what the parallels with Destiny are...

by nico, Wednesday, December 21, 2022, 13:24 (484 days ago) @ Cody Miller

...but here goes:

I was an off-tank for a guild (10 and 25-man raid), and we (along with DPS and healers) were not expected, but required, to have watched several videos on the mechanics of a given encounter prior to attempting it. Not knowing those mechanics would get you yelled at (at best.) Regardless of class / role, you were expected to play the correct subclass, have the correct weapons, and perform the correct rotations.

In my case, I had to play PvP (which I didn't enjoy) in order to acquire the correct weapon for my role. We're talking hours of the equivalent of Trials.

I also had to reach a certain reputation level with a faction ("exalted") which required about 45 minutes a day (time locked) for six weeks in order to get a particular item, without which tanking the end game encounter was impossible. No substitutions.

Certain 3rd-party addons were a requirement, some of which communicated to the raid leader your healing / DPS / agro stats in real time, with feedback being received in real time.

Around the time I started playing (2006-ish, Burning Crusade), Blizz decided to make end-game gear equivalents available to people merely willing to grind endless quests, patrols, and faction reputations. In other words, you didn't _have_ to raid to get the best gear, just play a lot, a LOT.

Perhaps it was my luck, but in general, my interaction with WoW players (in guild or in "pub" activities) created my belief that WoW has one of the most toxic online communities I've ever experienced.

The WoW population started dwindling over the first few years I played because the complexity of subclasses, talents, and gear, made it prohibitive to "get into it." I feel that Destiny is at that point, but I don't know the numbers.

Early on in Destiny, I was amazed that Bungie created this type of game but where weapons behaved identically in PvP and PvE -- something Blizzard never was able to accomplish with WoW. I was also amazed that you could do relatively well in crucible with blue weapons -- something impossible to accomplish in WoW.

In terms of monetization, WoW did some things which I think would work very well with Destiny. For example, you could buy an item from the store, say the equivalent of a sparrow, which was could be purchased as a gift -- you could "wrap" the item and you could trade it -- gift it -- to another player.

There are also "barbers" which allow a player, in exchange for gold, to change their hair.

For those of you who haven't seen it, this is a classic "raid gone wrong" video

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread