Crossplay Voice Chat (Destiny)

by squidnh3, Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 09:45 (941 days ago)

For those of you who have been playing with our alternate platform brethren, how have you been voice chatting? Any good solutions so far?

Crossplay Voice Chat

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 10:52 (941 days ago) @ squidnh3

PC and Xbox is easy, as PC players can just use the Xbox Windows app to join a Xbox Live party.

As for Playstation, I don’t really know a good solution.

Crossplay Voice Chat

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 12:58 (941 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I thought about setting up a Mumble server, but that's involved and I haven't had the time. Skype might be the simplest solution.

I'm willing to experiment if people are interested. We won't have the luxury of game audio/chat mix in our ears, so there will be probably be bleed-in audio through the mics. (I usually mute my speakers when using my normal headphones/mic.)

Crossplay Voice Chat

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 13:07 (941 days ago) @ Kermit

That’s automatically a deal killer for me. Sorry PS4 peeps, I’m not going to all the trouble to end up with a half-baked solution. I’ll see you all when in game chat works.

Crossplay Voice Chat

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 13:49 (941 days ago) @ cheapLEY

That’s automatically a deal killer for me. Sorry PS4 peeps, I’m not going to all the trouble to end up with a half-baked solution. I’ll see you all when in game chat works.

I'm well aware that you don't like that they pushed this feature with voice chat. I must have misinterpreted your intent when you asked about solutions.

If anyone else wants to try Skype or FaceTime, I'm game. I've joined several people already (without chat) and it's seamless. It's cool seeing so many names show up in the roster!

Crossplay Voice Chat

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 15:30 (941 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm well aware that you don't like that they pushed this feature with voice chat. I must have misinterpreted your intent when you asked about solutions.

If anyone else wants to try Skype or FaceTime, I'm game. I've joined several people already (without chat) and it's seamless. It's cool seeing so many names show up in the roster!

No, sorry, I’m not saying your solutions are bad or anything. I wasn’t looking for solutions personally—there aren’t any that would satisfy me until in game chat just works. I was merely answering squid’s question and pointing out that I genuinely didn’t know of anything satisfactory for PS users.

Crossplay Voice Chat

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 13:50 (941 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Dude, just dance whenever you need to call attention to something. :-p

Crossplay Voice Chat

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 13:41 (941 days ago) @ squidnh3

From some random article I found on the web:

However, while you can technically play with your friends, there are still a few missing crossplay features. In-game cross-platform voice chat is coming to Destiny 2 “soon after launch” according to Bungie, and the ability to change your Bungie name and display text chat on console is coming sometime this winter.

Crossplay Voice Chat

by squidnh3, Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 13:55 (941 days ago) @ Claude Errera

However, while you can technically play with your friends, there are still a few missing crossplay features. In-game cross-platform voice chat is coming to Destiny 2 “soon after launch” according to Bungie, and the ability to change your Bungie name and display text chat on console is coming sometime this winter.

Yeah hopefully it's soon, although it may be a good idea to have alternate solutions available for when it A) Sounds horrible and B) You randomly can't hear certain people due to whatever networking dark magic.

I've heard okay things about Xbox party chat but on a couple occasions it hasn't worked very well when I've been playing with PC friends in Fortnite. Also it's sort of a hard sell to join a group of 5 PC players and ask them to stop using their preferred chat method (e.g. Discord) just for you.

Crossplay Voice Chat

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 20:25 (940 days ago) @ squidnh3

Yeah hopefully it's soon, although it may be a good idea to have alternate solutions available for when it A) Sounds horrible and B) You randomly can't hear certain people due to whatever networking dark magic.

I've heard okay things about Xbox party chat but on a couple occasions it hasn't worked very well when I've been playing with PC friends in Fortnite. Also it's sort of a hard sell to join a group of 5 PC players and ask them to stop using their preferred chat method (e.g. Discord) just for you.

I think that's probably why they didn't let this late-breaking bug hold up the release of the feature. A big percentage of gamers have been using third-party tools for chat for years.

Crossplay Voice Chat

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, September 01, 2021, 08:51 (940 days ago) @ squidnh3

Crossplay voice chat is an absolute crapshoot. Billion dollar franchise games like Modern Warfare (designed with Crossplay on by default) have the most buggy and abysmal crossplay chat I've ever seen (if you're in a crossplay lobby, you might not even hear people on your same platform),
while the low-budget Back 4 Blood beta had the crispest and most flawless crossplay voice chat that rivaled the XBL Party chat quality. It even shows up in saved films!:

I really hope It Just Works™.

Interesting solution last night...

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, September 01, 2021, 10:33 (940 days ago) @ squidnh3

We had a group that usually plays over XBL, but we added some extras from other platforms last night. Most people had Discord, but two of us didn't... so we settled on Zoom.

Surprising option, but it worked well.

Most people ran game audio out of their TVs, and wore their headsets to connect to the phones/laptops running zoom.

I stuck a single airpod under my xbl headphones that was bluetoothed to my phone, and just muted party chat on xbl. (Apparently I was a little hollow, but that's because the airpod was completely enclosed underneath the headphone cup. I'm sure I could come up with a better alternative if this ends up being a weekly thing.)

Definitely too clunky for Cheapley, I get that... but the biggest problem was the death of the airpod after a 3-hour session. :)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 01, 2021, 12:35 (940 days ago) @ Claude Errera

You just switched ears when one died, right?

I was thinking about using an airpod in that way. Open on-ear headphones might work better over them. Was thinking about joining from my Playstation tonight and using the Xbox app for chat.

I also realized that I have a Discord account so I'm game to try that if anyone's willing. The only problem with Zoom is someone must have a license or there's a 40-minute limit. I've got a regular group meeting that just deals with it, promptly rejoining when we get cut off, but that would be disastrous in a raid.

by squidnh3, Wednesday, September 01, 2021, 12:40 (940 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Most people ran game audio out of their TVs, and wore their headsets to connect to the phones/laptops running zoom.

Weren't everyone's mics picking up their game audio? That seems like it would be intensely annoying. Seems like the other way around would be better - headsets for game audio, just open speakers/mics for Zoom.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, September 01, 2021, 13:08 (940 days ago) @ squidnh3

Weren't everyone's mics picking up their game audio? That seems like it would be intensely annoying. Seems like the other way around would be better - headsets for game audio, just open speakers/mics for Zoom.

Didn't hear anyone else's game audio, not sure why. Worked fine.

(And in answer to Kermit's question - the airpod died just as we were signing off, so I didn't bother switching, but yeah, I could have if we were going to keep going.)

Crossplay Voice Chat - Now Enabled

by squidnh3, Thursday, September 02, 2021, 09:48 (939 days ago) @ squidnh3

Looks like Bungie has now enabled cross play voice chat as of Hotfix 3.3.0.1. Hopefully it works great!

Worked like a charm.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, September 02, 2021, 21:01 (938 days ago) @ squidnh3

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread